The first beer specifically created to accompany food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you know which beer I am referring to, let others guess. Don't give it away.

The thread title is the claim made by a chef and the brewer about 2 year ago. I'm surprised that they are not more famous for thinking up such a unique idea after 6000 years. :rolleyes:

Cause I'm thinking that The first beer specifically created to accompany food would have been the second batch.

I saw the article on-line looking for "the best beer to accompany food" for my wife's fancy graduation dinner. I saw the quote, clicked the link, and immediately began rolling my eyes out.

The only reason I remembered it is I saw the first comment and said "hey, that guy's a mod on HBT!"

Just did a Google search of the quote and all I can say is :rolleyes:

I know that place is pretentious, but come on. What a unique grain bill! What a unique set of spices!

What a load of bull.

Although he's one of my culinary heroes, and we have the same heritage, he's hated by a lot of folks. I can see why. :rolleyes:

Actually I thought it was going to be the joint venture between a certain Oregon brewery and an Iron Chef that was the answer.

I like how it's created to accompany "food" no real mention of specifics. Does it accompany pork rinds?

Cause I'm thinking that The first beer specifically created to accompany food would have been the second batch.

Actually according to beervana,
and the poor brewer went through 400 iterations of the beer before the final version.

Most of the beer review sites are giving it a so-so.

More hype than anything else...besides it's just Blue Moon with licorice. Hey wonder how it compares head to head with Blue Moon Grand Cru?

Like this quote;
It goes well with food--as of course many Belgian ales do and have done for centuries. It was a nice pairing with both the tangy tandoori chicken, which it complemented, and the bitter/sour asparagus, which it contrasted. The salad--eh, it was fine. But hey, two out of three's good.

Ultimately, this is a slight beer with a massive ad campaign. A bit of a shame, too. Anyone in town who shells out $10 for this supposedly transcendent beer will almost certainly feel let down. On the other hand, if I served you a glass--with or without food--you'd probably find it quite nice. It's even worth the ten bucks. It will not, however, revolutionize gastronomy.

I like how it's created to accompany "food" no real mention of specifics. Does it accompany pork rinds?

At El Bulli? Only if they are made from baby albino pigs who never saw the light of day which were fed exclusively organic wheatgrass from the highlands of Tibet and were butchered according to an ancient Australian aborigine method meant to preserve every last ounce of tenderness in the meat, then fried in oil drawn from rare truffles grown only in the forests of deepest Moldova.

food is for eating.
beer is for drinking.
man must both eat and drink to maintain life.

given these three circumstances, I figure all beer is made to go with food, even if that food is just peanuts or popcorn.

****ing retarded. How many wines are made to pair with food. The way it works is that you make food and find something that will pair with it. "To pair with food" is a joke. Lamb, shellfish, steak, polenta?! All foods can be paired with this?! It must be the most magical wit beer ever.

WTF?

is a unique coupage of barley malt and wheat, flavored with coriander, orange peel and liquorice

Coupage? According to the dictionary Coupage is the "percussion of the thorax to aid in the removal of secretions."

So basically it's going to make us want to hurl?

This is an interesting review, from a wine person, calling shenanigans on it as well.

But get this: the people from the Spanish brewery are touting ******* as the first beer designed to go with food. Really? I think all of the brewmasters in Belgium are going to be rather nonplussed and amused by that one. After a short trip to Belgium last fall to experience Stella Artois, Leffe and Hoegaarden in all their different styles, it’s quite clear that to Belgians, beer is it’s own food group. The many styles and weights of beers are expertly paired – just like wine – with everything from appetizers to desserts. One of my favorite pairings was a tangy Kriek cherry lambic beer with an airy Belgian waffle topped in whipped cream!

I use beer to cook my food in often...Sometimes to the point where SWMBO tells me to back off the beer. 99% of the time these are beers that friends have left over not my precious HB.

As for pairing food with beer I think all food can be had with one kind of a beer or another but any "1 beer to pair them all" is some serious bad mojo.

WTF?

Coupage? According to the dictionary Coupage is the "percussion of the thorax to aid in the removal of secretions."

This is an interesting review, from a wine person, calling shenanigans on it as well.

According to the medical dictionary, yes. But real dictionaries, that non-medical persons use, no. And in that sense it is a bit more palatable, but still stretching it.

Maybe he's the first to claim he's the first.

Go to youtube and enter the beer's name, and look for the vid that has the word 'service" in the title. Listen to what he says at the end of it. All I can say is
sick0021.gif

In one of the videos they are raving about the unique bottle design...they've obvioulsy never seen a bottle of Orval have they?

Orval_Large.jpg

Maybe he's the first to claim he's the first.

I think you've got it right there. Unfortunately for him, many of us realize that it's like claiming to be the first person to discover breathing. You probably won't find a record of people doing it, but trust me, it's been done.

Also, I have been trying to adjust my food recipes to pair with my beer lately and have really enjoyed the results. A good food pairing, especially with 'non-extreme' beers, greatly increases my enjoyment.

Actually I thought it was going to be the joint venture between a certain Oregon brewery and an Iron Chef that was the answer.
I thought so, too.

What a crock.

"...be sure to oxygenate it well [during the pour]." So this beer only goes well with food once it's stale?

Iv'e never heard of him before.

He's considered the best chef in the world. One of the pioneers of molecular gastronomy.

Check out this segment from "No Reservations" he has Anthony Bourdain, one of the most arrogant chef/tv hosts out there practically licking Aria's foreskin.

Actually he's prolly EATING it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
By this:
The first beer specifically created to accompany food would have been the second batch.

I meant the second batch ever made in the history of the world. As in, "Hey this is pretty good. I wonder if it could be made less sweet to go with my food."

WTF?

It's a French word which has a clear meaning in the wine world, which is probably a context I would have checked before an English medical dictionary.

It's a French word which has a clear meaning in the wine world, which is probably a context I would have checked before an English medical dictionary.

Gee mr know it all, how do you know I went to a medical dictionary? Actually I went to google, and THREE different dictionaries gave me that and ONLY that and neither or them were labeled as a medical dictionary. So excuse me for being wrong once in awhile. Which I know just gives you a chubby.

I know you think that your constant obsession you have of me turns me on. But Remmy, I told you I don't swing that way, no matter how flattering in a creepily stalkerish way it may seem. :rolleyes:

Twit.

He's considered the best chef in the world. One of the pioneers of molecular gastronomy.

Check out this segment from "No Reservations" he has Anthony Bourdain, one of the most arrogant chef/tv hosts out there practically licking Aria's foreskin.

Actually he's prolly EATING it anyway.

Raw tuna fish bone marrow? WTF?

Gee mr know it all, how do you know I went to a medical dictionary? Actually I went to google, and THREE different dictionaries gave me that and ONLY that and neither or them were labeled as a medical dictionary. So excuse me for being wrong once in awhile. Which I know just gives you a chubby.

I know you think that your constant obsession you have of me turns me on. But Remmy, I told you I don't swing that way, no matter how flattering in a creepily stalkerish way it may seem. :rolleyes:

Twit.

Because non-medical dictionaries don't give medical definitions to common words, they give the common definition. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to criticize someone's use of a word because it's kinda funny when you turn out to be the ignorant one.

Twit.

Kinda harsh. Wow.

On this note, I made the first beer that improves mood and increases one's energy stores for periods of famine. It has over 500 calories a pint. It is known as Barley Wine. I frikkin rule, hardcore.

i drank some new beer at the pub the other day, ie new to oklahoma, when ever the new beers come in i get to help taste test to see if its something worth carrying .

its said something like that on it,, it was call stella damn or some **** it came from spain if i recall , i dont remeber it that well but if memory serves it was witbier and tasted strongly of citrus, was fruity with coriander , i was not impressed and gave it a negative to add to the menu cost too much for what it was.

I was excited about it when I saw it at the local beer store. I drank a TON of their normal beer when near their brewery, even though it's pretty horrible. Beer clerk told me to save my money, and that he couldn't possibly recommend spending $9 on a bottle. Why does he sell it then?

I would kill to eat at El Bulli, though.

That video was hilarious. Snowballs, with a little yellow lemon flavor? ("ah yes I remember the flavor well from my youth, when the school bully hit me in the mouth with a yellow snowball") Check. Chocolate dirt? (where are the f@£$ing gummy worms?) Check. green pea slime? Check. I couldn't stop watching or laughing.

Back