The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kayak: semi-automatic drowning machine ;)
Besides, they are a back killer, and I've already had two microdiscectomies and am nursing what'll likely be the third.
Hard pass...

My kids still have the pictures of the first kyak I attempted to enter, as it rode me slowly away from the shore, in a gravitationally inversive manner.

[No, there will be no photo shares]

So....anyone in the Greater Massachusetts Area (which would include everything north of the NY/NJ borders) seen much in the way of the foretold dreaded cicada 'splosion?
I have a feeling it totally missed us...

I went to TN in May, and while present down there, they were not swarming/hoards/dogsandcatslivingtogether bad. Here in WMA I can't say I've seen ... well, a couple.

They don't show up much on island. I remember a few years back there was a substantial brood (not brood x)on the cape, could here them screaming in trees along 28, but none to speak of here.

I'll add that the annual swarm of tourist, short term renters, property pimps more than makes up for the lack of insects. I'd take the critters anyday over the two legged pestilence.

Last edited:
Yeast Weirdness
The tale of the foamy overbuild, that struts and frets its time on the stir plate
A tale, told by an idiot, full of foam and fury

Anyway.

I take 100b, make a starter for a brew day, overbuilding by 100b, saving that for next starter.

The protagonist of this tale, WY1007, was not really old, and only on overbuild#3, having been last overbuilt end of April (yes, this year). I have used 6-9mo old saved overbuilds plenty of times in the past, just two stepping them based on this calculator. This time, the 1.5 liter starter, done in my 1 gallon jug on stir plate, was, in a word, exuberant.
1625165421370.png

I did not have time to cold crash before using/saving, so the saved amount went in a quart mason jar, washed/starsan-rinsed, and after settling, I put it in a more space saving pint jar, also cleaned/starsanned.

Now a few days later, and it’s got froth. It’s not creating pressure, but it’s not normal. Smells normal.
1625165443000.png

I don’t know if it’s bad, it’s just different than what normally happens. If it weren’t the middle of Mother Nature’s Hell on Earth Cry of the Flaming Valkyries, I'd order some more from Ritebrew. It would never survive.

Maybe I have to give up and drive to the godforsaken eastern part of the state where there are still home brew shops.

This actually brings up a really good question, to which there is no discernible obvious consensus on the net: as a dry alternative for WY1007, do you choose K97 or Notty for an Altbier?

Thanks.
But I will do the taste thing, because, well, someone smart said I should.
And while I've read mostly "neutral" about K97, I've seen a few scary "clove" "banana" "bubblegum" mentioned as well, and I personally feel those are contraindicated in altbier, but I've not scoured BJCP guidelines in a while.

Well, it is a Kolsh yeast which generally are clean, but hey, I haven’t brewed many of them to know… I suppose those off flavors some people report are due to mishandling the yeast and fermentation temps. I hope your fizzy yellow stuff tastes proper and you brew a good refreshing beer with it. I’ve got a grapefruit mead going as of yesterday… my first fermentation of this year. I had to enlist hubby’s help with the lifting, will have to give him co-brewer status!

OK, what in the left handed blue fashizzle are you guys up to over there today @paulthenurse ?

Massachusetts police standoff with heavily armed men ends in 11 arrests

The ordeal, which started during a police traffic stop, led to the shutdown of part of Interstate 95 and a shelter-in-place order for the surrounding area ...the men were wearing what Massachusetts State Police Col. Christopher Mason described as tactical vests and military style uniforms...the men indicated they were traveling from Rhode Island for "training," ...the men claimed to be "from a group that does not recognize our laws," according to a statement from the Wakefield Police Department.

Wakefield, home of the oldest and largest manufacturers of flying model airplane toys, and natural nightime trap for Rhode Island separatist survivalists.

They should make T-shirts.

Elsa. And, in what respect?

She's definitely not hanging around for long, could blow by here on Friday. Indeed I'm hoping it's up in New Brunswick by Saturday morning, as our spawn and their spawn will be doing our annual week on The Cape Of Cod come Saturday and it'd be nice not to unload all the vehicles in a downpour :D

Cheers!

Elsa. And, in what respect?

She's definitely not hanging around for long, could blow by here on Friday. Indeed I'm hoping it's up in New Brunswick by Saturday morning, as our spawn and their spawn will be doing our annual week on The Cape Of Cod come Saturday and it'd be nice not to unload all the vehicles in a downpour :D

Cheers!

Looks like a good chance we'll get dumped on here...always fond of a bit of weather myself. {'

That headline is from CNN. And the story comes from Massachusetts. Both are anti-gun ownership. If they had made it to Maine before breaking down, this story would't exist.
If they had also left the guns in the car while hanging around, it wouldn't exist either.
But it sounds like they did this intentionally, to cause an uproar and make a statement.

World is full of desperate, unhinged and whacked out people, always has been, always will be, (at least as long as we're around). Just gets reported on more, and is perhaps a little more frequent these days..

From the list of recovered guns, not even that "heavily armed", seems to me, relatively speaking.

And yeah, re fueling by side of road in gear, at least a tactical error.

Aqua mow, I'd advise against it for a few reasons.

We were supposed to mow about twenty lawns today, next week going to be a busy one.

So. Guess I'm *NOT* mowing the yard today....

View attachment 734882
Ditto here - I knew I should have done it yesterday instead of going to get a bandsaw I found on craigslist. Nah. happy cutting toys are way more fun than mowing the lawn.
But I'm also trying out a pressure washer I picked up last weekend. I can't tell the difference.

Well, I hope this event, helps to improve the fishing! Had a f ton of rain here some flooding in the streets and now
20409ADC-B809-4753-8BD1-9BBFBBFB1A03.jpeg
hoping tonight’s high tide stays in the bay. This pic was from a couple days ago. It doesn’t really depict the beauty of the sunset and the red fireball.

Ditto here - I knew I should have done it yesterday instead of going to get a bandsaw I found on craigslist. Nah. happy cutting toys are way more fun than mowing the lawn.
But I'm also trying out a pressure washer I picked up last weekend. I can't tell the difference.

I'm no expert, but let me try to help you with the difference.

A pressure washer sprays water under high pressure, while a bandsaw cuts things, given the obvious caveat that the motor runs and a blade is installed. Properly. While you definitely *CAN* cut wood with a pressure washer, it is contraindicated and suboptimal. And very, very wet.

Rain stopped here. Sun came out, then wind picked up, temp dropped to upper 50s and it's clouded over again.

Mother Nature is punishing me for something, by making darn sure the walnut trees are happy and going bonkers with nuts this year.
1625857888006.png

I'm no expert, but let me try to help you with the difference.

A pressure washer sprays water under high pressure, while a bandsaw cuts things, given the obvious caveat that the motor runs and a blade is installed. Properly. While you definitely *CAN* cut wood with a pressure washer, it is contraindicated and suboptimal. And very, very wet.
😂😂 I walked into that one.....

Back