The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[shrug] I had Chinese take-out yesterday.

Otoh...

The Spousal Unit and I are supposed to get on a plane from Boston through Charlotte to Nassau next Friday, then puddle jump to Cat Island the next morning.

We are gung ho to go. We're 70-ish. Is that crazy?

[shrug] I had Chinese take-out yesterday.

Otoh...

The Spousal Unit and I are supposed to get on a plane from Boston through Charlotte to Nassau next Friday, then puddle jump to Cat Island the next morning.

We are gung ho to go. We're 70-ish. Is that crazy?
I have good friends that are getting back from a cruise tomorrow in their 70s. Passengers were pre screened and my friend said there was not a cough or sniffle on board. Go have fun, and pack extra cash so you can fly to the UK if you can’t get back. ;j

Some people are scared stupid... literally

That’s actually kind of an interesting point/question. Given the high percentage of the overall population who too stupid to get out of their own way... from an overall, greater-good perspective, does it make sense to scare the crap out of those people since they’re the very group least likely to take any proper precautions otherwise?

Island getting swamped by the summer house owners looking to leave cities, their kids who's spring breaks are disrupted, etc.

Not good,... I'll leave it at that for now.

If it was just chad, it might be OK, they live in Edgartown, and population slowly declining (inbreeding in some, realization amongst young chads they suck, etc).

The big money, ''thinks this is rural'' crowd, who bought most of nice up island properties,... not wanting to stereotype reality, 'cause off limits, political correct wise,.... their population is quite dense.

Damn...Looks like we're stuck state-side with the rest of the great unwashed.

We decided it would be morally irresponsible of us to travel to an island with literally zero critical care facilities and possibly bring a bug to their shores - even if we have been in self-exile for the last two weeks. But our plans had us over-nighting in Nassau on the way and that island suddenly cough up a positive test on a woman with no recent travel history and no known hot contacts just yesterday, so the bug is there already and who knows how wide-spread.

So...

no_vacay_4_me.jpg

Yeah, on to the bargaining: we're trying to salvage a trip later this year at least...

We decided it would be morally irresponsible of us to travel to an island with literally zero critical care facilities and possibly bring a bug to their shores - even if we have been in self-exile for the last two weeks. But our plans had us over-nighting in Nassau on the way and that island suddenly cough up a positive test on a woman with no recent travel history and no known hot contacts just yesterday, so the bug is there already and who knows how wide-spread.

So...

View attachment 671239
Yeah, on to the bargaining: we're trying to salvage a trip later this year at least...

I have heard beer can flatten that curve...

So...

View attachment 671239
Good decision DT. In the end it's not just you but the use of resources. The people that need to make an income that ship your bags or fuel that plane that are desperate to ignore the warnings. Plus summer is here :)

It was not an easy decision, but it's the only one we could ethically make at this point. A week ago we're totally there, but now...

Most of the Bahamas out islands are barely Second World societies with medical infrastructures to match. Even on the better equipped islands there is no such thing as "critical care", and Cat Island in particular is the opposite of "better equipped". Plus as there's so little economic opportunity on these islands the youth typically move to Nassau or Grand Bahamas or Great Abaco leaving mostly elders.

So, yeah, the potential for devastation is huge, and we just can't risk becoming a vector. If we're lucky (in a lot of ways) we'll be able to salvage a trip later this year to give us something to look forward to again.

Meanwhile...hit Jaspers today to fill in some small holes in my grain inventory, will spin up some 1056 tomorrow, and knock out a wcipa later this week just to keep occupied. But with 14 out of 16 kegs already full, brewing is going to be short-term distraction for awhile...

Cheers!

But with 14 out of 16 kegs already full, brewing is going to be short-term distraction for awhile...

Perhaps up your drinking(of your own brew that is), or get more kegs(only 16?). You could brew some more complex beers that age well/need to age, that is always fun.

And yes it is good to remember we are pretty fortunate, relative to world population. Imagine being a refuge in Idlib province syria, not only bombed out, nowhere to go, staving and watching family die, but not allowed to drink on pain of death. (sorry for so depressing, but it is good to remember our relative good fortune.)

Do you do stocks? good time for looking at buying opportunities.

I have a very wise financial person that handles our investments and his talents have been highly evident of late.

Anyway, the walk-up traffic at my humble brewery has virtually shut down. My boys all have young vectors - I mean, kiddies - and my youngest (and nearest) son's wife is an ER doc at BayState in Springfield that has seen a sudden appearance and immediate surge in C19 cases. They're all more worried about my wife and I than themselves (not without reason). So there's that. And the neighbors are all into hard core "maintain the household sanity" mode with their young kids out of school indefinitely and are too busy for socializing - so far :)

No problem, eventually we'll knock a pair of kegs off, and in the meantime I have many interests and a few projects I could get into. And the way the weather has been running of late I'm thinking about flyfishing in a couple/few weeks...

Cheers!

Trust me, if there was any way to go without risking others - never mind ourselves - we'd go. After a full year of longing to go back again it's not easy to give it up.

This is the first year since 2001 that The Spousal Unit and I won't be languishing on an island somewhere in the Caribbean for two weeks.
But, being utterly frank, that could easily be tiny potatoes if this plague tracks the way some models predict...

I'm not the sports person in my marriage, but has DysfunForum discussed the TomBrady-ectomy yet? I need to know where I'm supposed to stand on this.

Thanks for the offer, but I've been tying for almost 60 years and not only have amassed a huge materials and hook collection on my own, I inherited my dad's collection - and his brothers - which combined also included their father's collection. I literally have wall cabinets full of capes, pelts, select quills, and synthetics that would last countless lifetimes. Not to mention all of the rods - cane, 'glass and graphite. It's kinda crazy, actually.

But you might consider looking up your local Trout Unlimited chapter and donating to their education efforts. At some point I'm going to split off a chunk of my stash for my sons and donate the rest...

Cheers!

Oh hells yes. When I was going to U of Denver and spending a lot of time up around Avon in the summers, the Eagle River tribs were loaded with wee ones that'd barely bend a two weight :D

The last two years in CO I actually had a no-cost "caretaker" deal on a derelict ranch up in Avon complete with a two story classic farm house. I became friends with a local horse farm owner and would take weekend pack rod trips up the tribs with whomever was interested. A half dozen of those little dudes made for a tasty breakfast with some boiled coffee :)

Wow....This inspired me to take a look at Google Maps to see what's up in the Eagle River valley now. And - holy cow. It's gone totally condos and golf courses! Not totally surprised, it's a suburb of Vail Corporation, which was bound to transform the whole valley into condos sooner or later.

The farm house was smack inside the circle, not sure what that is there now. The golf course to the immediate right was all part of the ranch, as was the draw heading up on the left (I shot a huge 12 point mule deer up in there one summer). I-70 and the Ike tunnel were still in construction and weren't finished until I had graduated and headed west, so all of this is crazy to me, almost 50 years later.

avon_ranch.jpg

All that pavement...before, there was just Rt 6 and some ranch roads...Wow...

Cheers!

My hubby’s family lives in Nebraska, and I met him at a small college there. Many years later we drove to our old stomping grounds. Surprisingly for a college town many of the places (bars) we enjoyed were gone, and no longer a bar. That town had as many bars as churches. Of course, back then the drinking age was lower than 20 years later when we took that ride.
:mug:

Dangerous sport for anyone over 60, going and looking up old haunts on Google Maps/Earth...

There's some truth to that. I lived in the town of Eldon, WN, in the early 70s, when the population was around 60. You could drive almost the entire Route 101 loop up the canal and down the coast and see just scattered random houses and hardly any development. Today, 101 up the Hoods Canal side is studded with townhouse and condo developments, resorts and clubs, not to mention the Trident sub base.

Time marches on...

Cheers!

I grew up in East TN on one of the TVA lakes. My front yard appeared to be 5 miles wide and a mile across. Nothing but water and trees to the west, watching thunderstorms build and come over the hills in summer.

Now, all condos over there. Slightly different feel, most definitely. All the farmland around has been converted into McMansions by fecking eejits with more money than brains. Some days I feel so old.

Latest posts

Back