Fruit Beer The Dragon's Snatch - Dragonfruit Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacktardBrewmeister

The Mad Zymurgist
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Fermentis Safbrew T-58
Batch Size (Gallons)
5 Gallons
Original Gravity
1.064 before fruit, after fruit estimate 1.087
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60 minutes
IBU
Color
Orange, just... orange! lol
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 Days at 68%
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 Days at 68%
Tasting Notes
Fruit on the front but dicipates right away. Wonderful fruity nose with a dry finish
dThis recipe has gone through about 4 different variations, each one works mind you, but it really depends on what you want it to taste like in the long run. I will post the way I usually make it, but will post the results of the variants below and their tasting notes that I have kept. This beer is definitely out there, I mean the damn thing is orange. This is the first recipe I have posted on the site and be mindful that I do a lot of weird concoctions. I also brew with everything against me, by choice, in order to provide a strong amount of information on what I have done and I know any beer I post can be made better by others (I use no chillers, no air conditioning, stove top 5 gallon kettle). I am low tech and do weird things. So without further ado, lets tackle The Passionately Wet Prickly Dragon's Snatch. Or just Dragon's Snatch for short.

Dragon's Snatch
Dragon Fruit Swirl Beer
OG: 1.064
FG: 1.014
Before Fruit Secondary ABV: 6.56%
Final ABV: 9.58%
IBU 25.85
5 Gallon Batch
Boil Time 60 minutes

5 lbs Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Carapils Malt
1 lb Marris Otter Malt
1 lb Victory Malt
1 lb Flaked Corn
0.5 oz Citra Hops (60 minutes)
0.25 oz Cascade Hops (30 minutes)
0.25 oz Cascade Hops (15 minutes)
2 oz Sweet Orange Peel (15 minutes)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (15 Minutes)
4 Whole Dragon Fruit (White Fleshed for color, red flesh for flavor)
1 liter Passion Fruit Puree
1 liter Watermelon Puree or Half a medium sized Watermelon (seedless)
1 liter Prickly Pear Puree
1 lbs Coconut Sugar
1 Pkg Fermentis Safbrew T-58

I will explain EVERYTHING that might be setting your mind a bit ajar, so bear with me. b^^

Steep all crushed grains in 4 gallons of water at 150 °F (66 °C) in water for 60 minutes. Add DME while stirring and bring to a boil. Add hops and other ingredients as noted above during the boil, due to loss of liquid during boil I add water the last 5 minutes to get me up to 5 gallons, my kettle is marked so I know where it needs to be (I told you I do weird crap). Cover wart and cool wort (use a chiller if you want, I let it sit for 16 hours covered), siphon to carboy, aerate (me shaking my carboy violently) and pitch yeast. Ferment at 70 °F (21 °C) for 3-4 weeks as is.

Secondary Fermentation
Take 2-4 pieces of Dragon Fruit flesh and place in a blender and blitz, mixing in the purees and watermelon as well. Add fruit tornado of shame to clean and unused sterilized carboy. Transfer beer to secondary carboy with the fruit on the bottom. Ferment out for 1 week and MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A RUNOFF HOSE, not just an airlock, as airlock will pop off! Taste test every other day since fruit is a pain and you want to make sure it tastes the way you want it, ferment too long it will get a fruit wine taste so be cautious with how long you let it go. When transferring to keg, take mesh bag or cheese cloth bag and rubber band it to tip of hose or funnel. When transferring it will keep the chunks of dragonfruit flesh and seeds out of the keg. Force carbonate at 12psi for one week.

Fruit Variations:
So I have experimented with ALL FRUIT, Puree only (excluding Dragon Fruit), and have tried it at various stages of fermentation. The recipe above is a bit more beer like in taste with the fruit complementing the beer as opposed to the fruitiness being a strong feature. The nose/bouquet is incredibly fruity, but the taste is nice and smooth and not sweet at all.

If you want a stronger fruit presence I have the solution, but it costs a bit more to do it. In the last 15 minutes of the boil, add half a liter of each fruit puree to the boil, add 2 dragon fruit fleshes to a hops bag and let boil for last 5 minutes. This will give you a more bountiful fruit flavor to the beer as I noticed the secondary fruit gave the beer a stronger smell, but less taste. My suggestion is to do both fruit add ins, during the boil and during the second fermentation. If you want it fruity, this is your best bet.

If you use all the fruit in the beginning but none during the secondary the taste is a bit off. The passion fruit and prickly pear come through, but the watermelon and dragon fruit loose a lot of it's potency and the beer did not smell too fruity.

Using all natural fruit was where I started with this bad boy. But the cost was insane! The result was a weaker flavor of fruit beer and it was labor intensive for a mild result. The purees I used you can find at BevMo or Total Wine stores for like 5 bucks each. Living in Hermosa Beach, California I have the luxury of finding Dragon Fruit at my local Korean Market for 2 bucks a fruit. That is the tricky part, finding the Dragon Fruit and making sure it is not spoiled.

If you have any questions, which I am sure you all do, let me know and I'll try to answer them as coherently as possible. :mug:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img924/4870/jj3q5Q.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img923/797/iTcrHB.jpg

Back