The Dirty Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurpinator

Reaction score
So, I brewed an attempt at a GF belgian ale yesterday, thanks to Driftless Brewer for the recipe found here:
BrewSpace - View Gluten Free Brewers's Messages

Anyways, here's how it came to be called the Dirty Belgian.

I just bought a Bayou Classic SP-10 burner, to use instead of my worthless stovetop range. First off, I was prepared for it because I had read it in some reviews of the SP-10, but the paint started burning off, and the smoke was saturating my clothes like some kind of cleansing ritual. I can't imagine burning paint could be very cleansing though. Next up, time for the full boil. Beersmith told me my 5 gallon SS pot could safely boil 4 gallons, so that is what I attempted. And, not surprisingly I got my first boilover!! That burner is a beast! Anyway, in an attempt to save all the wort i could, I was running around with a spray bottle and blowing on it, but the wort still got all over me. I am going to call it my brewers baptism. Once I got the flame dialed in and the boil rolling nicely, I realized I had knocked my bowl of spalt select pellets all over the place. There was some in the grass, some on the numerous active anthills on the ground, and some just disappeared (This is probably why hops are so expensive, damn disappearing hops). So, being the newly baptised brewer I am, I picked the pellets up along with grass, ants, dirt, whatever was on the ground yesterday, and tossed them in. The rest of the boil went fairly smooth, just the stench of burning paint and now burning wort was trying to ruin the sweet hop scent in the air. In the end, I think it turned out pretty well for all the mishaps, and this is how The Dirty Belgian was born.

You stay classy HBT,

Ian

Your escapades sound just about right. Do not be discouraged, you are one of us now. With the propane burner, it is definitely more effecient than the stove top. Keep a floating thermometer in the kettle and do not leave it unattended once it reaches 200 degrees. When the wort starts acting crazy about 208, I start to turn down the heat, and once the boil comes, I recommend killing the heat to avoid the boil over (until one learns to tame this beast). The burning paint is only a problem during the first brew, and each brew after is no problem. A nice habit to get into is to weigh out your hops, and secure them in plastic baggies or a small tubberware container before you get started on brew day. The boil is here? Add the flavor hop bag. 15 minutes left? Add the flavor bag. 2 minutes left and your scrambling to get your cooling equipment in place? Luckily you pre measured your aroma hops and they are safely secured in a bag ready for a quick addition. On the other hand, Ant hill dirt could be your new house flavor.

Back