The deep Dark Beck's mystery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoaiSmile

Reaction score
The question, at the fore, is simple: what kind of beer is Beck's Dark?

I am looking for my next lager, and thought i might do something like a Beck's Dark, a beer i truly enjoy. here's where it gets wonky.

According to Beeradvocate Beck's Dark is a Muncih Dunkel lager. Great, i'll go find a recipe like that and brew one up.

HOWEVER, according to the BJCP style guide it is a Dark American Lager.

Now, i have my opinion, and of course, a couple six packs and i could have my answer, but there is obviously more here. So, i give it to you. what kind of beer is this? and as a side note; anyone gotta spot on clone of this beer?

I've never had Beck's Dark, but just sit down with one and compare it to the style descriptions. The two styles seem pretty distinctly different, so just figure out which one it smells and tastes more like per the guidelines. As for a recipe, you'll be able to find recipes for each of those broad style categories, but after a cursory search there's no recipe for that beer in particular.

Latest posts

Back