The Dark Tower/The Gunslinger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to go look it up. Page one says that Stuttering Bill was 10 when Georgie died, then the book jumps forward almost a year. That makes him 11 at the start of the main story. By the time they reach the (ahem) climax of the story, he would likely be 12. The Losers were all about the same age.

So there! ;)

So......eight 12 year olds ran a train on (I am sure she was a little younger;)) an 11 year old girl.

Still in the realm of freakish to all us parents.lol.

But touche', I'll give you this one.

I will check those books out.

Yes the STAND is awesome.

Needful things was a darned fun read too.

I could go on and on, and most of his books tie to one another somehow.

Skeleton Crew and .......his other short story compilations are AWESOME.

Nola, the mist, and a few others are must reads too.

Hey cheezydemon, I never finished IT. Thanks for the child gangbang spoiler. Now I won't have the stones to pick it up again for fear of looking like a pervert. :p

I do need to pick up The Stand sometime. I've seen the sci-fi miniseries so I know what it's about kinda, but I've heard the book is way better (though now I'm not going to be able to read it without imagining Lieutenant Dan, Molly Ringwald and the chick from Just Shoot Me).

I have the complete Dark Tower series in audio book and I've yet to listen to any of it! I have something like 13 audio books ahead of them in line to get to, including Anne Rice's Vampire books. Sounds like I may have to move them up a bit...

The end of It seemed odd to you? Must not have grown up in an neighborhood like I did. ;) Them neighbor girls were friendly when I was that age!

Clamper: definitely worth reading, errr... listening to.

The Stand mini series was pretty good, but nothing compares to the book. They really had to pare it down to fit on TV. There was some decent casting in that. And don't forget Jonas Quinn from Stargate in there too. And Mr Hand from Fast Times at Ridgemont High!

When I re-read the stand I couldn't get molly and lt dan out of there,lol.

Harold on the other hand was skinny in the movie but a fatty in the book (at least at the beginning) and don't forget the trash man, rob lowe, the giant from Coach, etc.

Great cast, less than desireable acting and production. A real deal movie would have to be a trilogy due to length, but would be well worth making.

Yeah. Movie 1 would be the people dying off and the survivors setting out. Movie 2 would be the gathering and planning. Then movie 3 would be the trip across the mountains, the confrontation and the trip back.

We were trying to come up with the worst cast possible for the Dark Tower movies. I think we came up with Tom Hanks as Roland and Whoopie Goldberg as Odetta/Detta/Susannah to start it off...

Nah, Tom would pull it off somehow.

Ru Paul as Susanna also would be worse.;)

Andy Dick as Roland would be the worst case scenario.

Well, we were trying to come up with idea that a director would actually do, barring an intentional spoof.

Actually, that's who Stephen King had in mind when he wrote it, but I think he might be a little too old for the part now.

Jada Pinkett as Susannah. Doogie Howser as Eddie. Sawyer from LOST as Roland but age him up a bit, or I could see Nathan Fillion.

Dunno for Jake because I don't know many child stars these days.

Really hope they tone down Oy, though, because if they're not careful they could really Jar Jar Binks the crap out of him.

Jada Pinkett as Susannah. Doogie Howser as Eddie. Sawyer from LOST as Roland but age him up a bit, or I could see Nathan Fillion.

Dunno for Jake because I don't know many child stars these days.

Really hope they tone down Oy, though, because if they're not careful they could really Jar Jar Binks the crap out of him.

HELLACIOUSLY good point.

I was just about OYed out in print.

What are we talking about? It was already done!
dt%2Bhartter.jpg

;)

Just got done with the FLASHBACK part of WIZARD and GLASS.

........is it just me?

After reading that beautiful work, I could barely bring myself to read more about OY.

Dear god, not to mention also the Wizard of Oz and Harry Potter references that are so annoying to me.

Odd. I thought the flashback was the worst part of the series. Pretty much useless to the story. He should've just saved that and wrote it after the series was done as a standalone novel.

Useless to the story? Yes.

Standalone? good idea.

It is about the only part of these books I could not put down. The part where the 3 boys finally break cover and ambush Jonas from behind? And lead the Good Man's troops into the thinny?

AWESOME.

The part where Oy finds red booties and enters the wizard of Oz land? Leave that out as far as I'm concerned.

for that matter, none of the rest of the books match up with the first one, really.

The stark, almost abstract tone of that novel meshes slightly with the ones that follow, but not seamlessly I wot.(;))

By the time I got to the Harry Potter brand weapons, it was as far removed from the first book as I could handle.

I put it down as fast as I turned off IRON man 2.(which is to say, I watched it long enough to give it a chance before it spewed its guts out and died a feeble death in my eyes, not worthy of it's namesake)

You and I are very different people. I thought the first book was weak and only works as character and setting introduction.

Ka

Too OLD!! I could see him walking around with wet bullets in his ears. LOL. This movie would be sweet. Especially in 3D could you imagine sitting in the theater with the doors on the beach just chilling there and then Roland going going to open them. I love this series. Except for the ending. Maybe they could change it in the movie or have a alternate ending.

Actually who plays in that need Western movie Grit I think its titled? That guy looks like he could be a Roland.

OH JESUS.

Father Callahan reading about himself in a STEPHEN KING book, not to mention the mis printed Stephen King Book being a VALUABLE book...... 2 of the *****ier moments that caused me to drop the series years ago......least of which is Ol' steve-o writing himself into his own book, in the company of noted authors and "Valuable" books.

OH WELL.

Yes, Callahan is a BADASS.

I would vote for Viggo Mortensen as Roland. My college roommates and I had many discussions about who we would cast, and he came up as the one who could be gritty enough, and the "right" age.

Great series overall. The Harry Potter weapons were a little over the top, but as far as King writing himself in, at first I was against it, but I thought he pulled it off pretty well.

I would vote for Viggo Mortensen as Roland. My college roommates and I had many discussions about who we would cast, and he came up as the one who could be gritty enough, and the "right" age.

Great series overall. The Harry Potter weapons were a little over the top, but as far as King writing himself in, at first I was against it, but I thought he pulled it off pretty well.
I am re-reading Wolves of the Calla and will try to stomach the harry potter brand crap without dry-heaving and throwing the book out into the hall (as I did the first time).

I don't know if I'm happy or sad about this...I just hope he doesn't get us all excited and then get bored with it again. And then just slop something together. He's just too inconsistent with his caring about the series. Hence his anticlimactic ending and some of the stories. You could tell at times he wasn't into it. The series turned out to be like Star Wars, more frustrations than joys.

So....It would be an "inbetweenquel"?????

After the emerald castle.......hmmmmm.

I am reading about callahan reading about himself in salems lot, what happens when the old fella happens to find the copy of whatever book he is in?
(DURRRRRRR) sorry. I can only assume that that was one of the more "uncared about" moments.

I was at a book store last night and they had the Dark Tower in graphic novel form, has anyone read those?

Latest posts

Back