The Cult of the IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motleybrew

Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time drinker, first time brewer here. ;)

As a beginning brewer, I've put quite a bit of time into learning the intricacies of beer. Admittedly, in my more youthful days, I was rather blind to the individual constituents of beer and their contributions to the final product. But now, I am slowly acquiring the senses to detect differences in flavor from malts or hops, aromatic contributions, yeast influences...many variables to consider.

One of the more popular ingredients, hops, has taken a limelight position. With the growing home brewing scene (Brewers Association Survey), the availability of a diverse selection of ingredients, especially hops, has risen. According to Huffington Post's coverage of the Great American Beerfest, the top two categories, summing to just under 10 percent of the total number of entrants, were IPA beers. Two of the top three beers in 2013, as rated at ratebeer.com, IPAs. Further evidence such as emerging publications like For the Love of Hops, and events like Hops Day all serve as a testament to the growing fame of hop strong beers. But why?

Hops are proving to be a boon to the craft brewing industry. Tim Lord, the managing director of Australia's major hops producer, the HPA, states that micro breweries are using as much as 10 times more hops into their beers compared to major commercial brands (ABC). He goes on to say that hops are becoming the "hero of the brew." With the burgeoning development of new and unique hop varieties, micro breweries are relying on these new hops as a marketing approach (ABC). So, perhaps there is an element of uniquity, propriety, rebelliousness. But, there is more to the hop attraction.

"Some men just aren't man enough to handle IPA's," states a fellow HBT member on the subject. Of course, this is likely in jest, but the underlying psychology of the statement conjures images of children slapping each others' hands to see who can withstand the greater amount of pain. Hops within the micro brew scene may just prove to be the new battleground for our inner macho to prove dominance over the others.

On the more scientific side of this subject, lies the aptly named 'lupulin threshold shift,' or the apparently insatiable appetite for more and more hops amongst the self-proclaimed 'hopheads' (Popular Science). Physical dependency is not a potential complication of hops; however, there are physical elements. Adaptation and habituation are the two main culprits to hop 'addiction' (Popular Science). The bittering agents in hops, analogous to capsaicin in hot foods, will dull the senses immediately, diminishing the ability to accurately detect future bittering encountered. More long term, habituation describes the fallout effect that the immediate dulling leaves on the tongue. For some time, bitterness detection is diminished, therefore leading the the seeking behaviour for an even more bittered beer. The psychological elements are present, but vague. Perhaps, the typically higher alcohol content of IPAs and similar styles play a part.

In the end, there doesn't seem to be a clear answer as to why there is such a welling popularity of IPAs. I was curious to see others' takes on this, and get a better sense of why hops are the rock star of beers, as it would seem.

I think it's mostly for the masses who don't want to be like the masses, but most of them aren't in that 7.5 or 3% of trend setters that the masses eventually assimilate from.

Long story short they are probably only politically liberal when life is good

Haha I don't know. It certainly is a cult, and given this tolerance to bitterness serves to back up my assumptions that IPAs are easy to fake

I think it's pretty simple. With the techniques and technology as well as hop variety out there today a lot of breweries have refined and mastered the IPA. 20-25 years ago it was hard to find all of the great IPA's that we all enjoy today.

It's not about bitterness. It's more about aroma and flavor with some bitterness to balance it out.

Take Heady Topper. I don't find it incredibly bitter compared to some others I've tried. I find it amazingly flavorful and aromatic. These IPA's just taste damn good now.

This is coming off pretty holier-than-though to me. If you don't want to drink IPA's, who cares. No need to pyschoanalize people who like to though. It's a tasty style of beer that really showcases american hops.

Anyway, a good chunk of the premise is false. Currently, 13 of the top 16 beers on ratebeer are imperial stouts. You have to get all the way down to 39 to find something that isn't an imperial or strong. The over the top beers are rated higher by beeries - IIPA's or otherwise.

Callacave said:
I think it's pretty simple. With the techniques and technology as well as hop variety out there today a lot of breweries have refined and mastered the IPA. 20-25 years ago it was hard to find all of the great IPA's that we all enjoy today. It's not about bitterness. It's more about aroma and flavor with some bitterness to balance it out. Take Heady Topper. I don't find it incredibly bitter compared to some others I've tried. I find it amazingly flavorful and aromatic. These IPA's just taste damn good now.

+1

I never had many opportunities to try IPA's locally and when I did I wasn't a fan so while in large cities and had opportunities to try more I never wasted the time when I could try other styles I already liked. Luckily we had a HBS/craft beer store open and after a few mixed 6ers I found myself leaning towards IPA's (your science from above?)...... And now winter! IPA's just aren't hitting the spot for some reason and now I'm on stouts. Go figure? But I'm sure once it warms up I'll have some IPA on tap!

And now winter! IPA's just aren't hitting the spot for some reason and now I'm on stouts. Go figure? But I'm sure once it warms up I'll have some IPA on tap!

This is me. Tonight I'm actually trying to drink up the IPA's in my fridge to make room for stouts and other malt forward styles. I'm not really in the mood for IPA's anymore at this point of the season, but by summer I can't get enough hops.

This is me. Tonight I'm actually trying to drink up the IPA's in my fridge to make room for stouts and other malt forward styles. I'm not really in the mood for IPA's anymore at this point of the season, but by summer I can't get enough hops.
This is the time to drink hoppy beers. Drink them as close to harvest time as possible.

This is the time to drink hoppy beers. Drink them as close to harvest time as possible.

I understand what you're saying, but I only tend to crave hops in the hot months. This time of year I crave heavy, malty, high abv, winter warmer type beers. With that said, I still drink IPA's year-round, just not as much this time of year. Offer me a Heady or Abrasive and I'll be all over it in a heartbeat!

No need to pyschoanalize people who like to though.

I don't see any problem with a little cynical banter. Why should it bother you? Our consumer/pop culture is by and large socially engineered by marketing and communications savvy, and the only people I see drinking IPAs are university students (with beards), 30 somethings (with beards), and any older than that are social libertarian rebels (bearded or goatee), and the ladies that associate with this demographic. In other words drinkers of IPAs already can be generalized in to an identifiable demographic. You may disagree, but if you were in the marketing industry (or in talk radio, as well as sometimes in general discussion forums) you would have to make generalizations.

Not to discredit IPAs or people's taste, but the latter is hardly if ever an individual and autonomous event. IPAs are still a fad, and given the power of marketing I'm not sure how to measure its popularity in a decade or so from now. Perhaps only a major depression will indicate this

I understand what you're saying, but I only tend to crave hops in the hot months. This time of year I crave heavy, malty, high abv, winter warmer type beers. With that said, I still drink IPA's year-round, just not as much this time of year. Offer me a Heady or Abrasive and I'll be all over it in a heartbeat!
It's only November, it's not cold in Texas yet (yes, I used to live there).

My tastes ebb and flow pretty regularly. I am just excited that there are so many choices for everyone no matter what you are looking for and that homebrewing ingredients and techiniques are able to get so close. Some weeks I am all about a good IPA and other weeks I am digging on the raspberry wheat. I have bee cave hefe on tap and I also have yooper oatmeal stout. There is room for all. I sometimes get cravings for a 12ver of blue moon and in the same receipt will have stone ruination or hopslam or newcastle. I figure its my money and my choice. I am grateful that we can all make that choice and all promote beer. It really is one of the great wonders of the world and brings alot of joy to my life.

It's only November, it's not cold in Texas yet (yes, I used to live there).

I never actually said it was cold. ;)

If I didn't know better I'd think you're trying to convince me that I should only be drinking IPA's. Perhaps there is some truth to the theory of IPA trends...

Well put, Pastor. I mean really positive and healthy spirit. I can only hope that has more power to shape our world than the interests of our corrupt politics and the geo-conglomerates that buy them.

However I still can't reframe my thinking that IPAs are often used as a form of man badge. Given the rough demographic of IPA consumers, they are both very open to new experiences, but also are possibly the most insecure (or best at hiding their identity insecurities) with the shaping of their identity and as such are almost as easily impressionable as the 18-21 age demographic bud light seems to have a stronghold on in some of the strangest regions of the world

Quite frankly I've met more ol timers open to and enjoying various Thai, curry, and japanese cusine than relishing in this prolific hop craze. I don't see this changing other than peer and marketing pressures changing it.

Maybe the popularity of IPAs has something to do with the fact that we now have access to more, better, fresher, and a wider variety of hops than ever before in the history of beer.

Maybe the popularity of IPAs has something to do with the fact that we now have access to more, better, fresher, and a wider variety of hops than ever before in the history of beer.

What is the history behind this? The only analogy that comes to mind is the development of super strains of marijuana.

What kicked off the rapid growth of super strain hops with off the chart AA%s. You can't place it solely on the individual. Many consumers of high grade marijuana have fallen out for a milder outdoor bud or Jamaican cess like bud, and many long time smokers have no interest in getting mangled off the high grade either. Even Red wine goes through fads, and some people are die hard reds for life while many drop out back to the subtleties of whites

There must be smaller interests always impressing on others until a normalizing or balancing out happens or it becomes so pervasive that no other reference of experience remains

What is the history behind this? The only analogy that comes to mind is the development of super strains of marijuana.

What kicked off the rapid growth of super strain hops with off the chart AA%s. You can't place it solely on the individual. Many consumers of high grade marijuana have fallen out for a milder outdoor bud or Jamaican cess like bud, and many long time smokers have no interest in getting mangled off the high grade either.

The must be smaller interests always impressing on others until a normalizing or balancing out happens or it becomes so pervasive that no other reference of experience remains

I'm sure a lot of people fit in to this analogy, but for myself I'm not looking for IPA's with the highest IBU rating. I personally look for specific nuances in aroma and flavor as compared to bitterness ratios. A lot of very highly sought after IPA's are not my favorites. What it boils down to for me is I enjoy IPA's that I like, not necessarily the ones that all the "cool kids" are drinking.

I'm sure there's more discerning tastes on HBT than out there, but this still leaves me to question what the state of ultra hopped up beers will be like in a decade or two. I predict that there won't be increased growth without the marketing power to back it up. I'm sure by then coke and bud will have joined forces and IPAs will be like a flabby lager compared to the concoctions they will have created and marketed (with an ingredients list written in a marsian tongue).

Are there any liquors being made with lots of hops?

I'm sure there's more discerning tastes on HBT than out there, but this still leaves me to question what the state of ultra hopped up beers will be like in a decade or two. I predict that there won't be increased growth without the marketing power to back it up. I'm sure by then coke and bud will have joined forces and IPAs will be like a flabby lager compared to the concoctions they will have created and marketed (with an ingredients list written in a marsian tongue).

I won't argue with that prediction. Just because I don't consider myself to be part of a trend demographic doesn't mean I don't think they exist. Trends certainly do exist, and one can only guess what will be trending in the craft beer world in 10 years..

A dry-hopped, late-hopped, 1.060+ American IPA with a cheeseburger and fries is as nice a paring as I could ask for.

The style features a lot of room to explore. Many commercial IPAs feature complex grain bills. If you don't believe me, age one. Take a few bottles of an IPA you would normally find offensive and cellar them properly for a year or two. I have had a four-year old Lagunita's IPA that would make you a believer.

What is the history behind this?

I'm certainly not enough of an expert on the history of hops to speculate on the developments of high-AA% strains. But I do know that the relatively recent history of IPAs predates many of those strains.

I think a lot of the experimentation with higher IBU IPAs probably stems from the proximity of west coast craft breweries to the hop farms of the pacific northwest. It was natural for them to experiment, given that. And some of what they found is that the spiciness of higher concentrations of certain fresh hops can be quite pleasant for both aroma and taste. And that in turn complements many other foods as well. So, demand for more hops to craft those beers probably got the ball rolling for more hops cultivation and possibly strains.

Of course it was also natural for there to be 'extreme' examples of the trend.

The only analogy that comes to mind is the development of super strains of marijuana.

Another possible analogy might be the development of super strains of hot peppers, with ever-increasing capaiscin levels. There's a culture and market built around that that's not unlike what there is for hops. Some people really like them, and others just like to explore the boundaries.

Personally I share Stauffbier's opinion, in that I like the ones that I like. I look for ones that I feel have a good flavor, aroma, and balance. But I don't think that other people are wrong to like IPAs that are 'hoppier' than my palate enjoys.

It's a good time to be a beer aficianado. So much choice.

JMO

Back