The cost of our hobby, dang dawg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.......or, in my case, realize that once I departed from strict K.I.S.S. principles, my equipment expense would go from my current $500 or so worth of equipment to exponential lengths. So- still brewing in the cheap pot, on the cheap turkey fryer, cheap orange cooler MLT, in the cheap white buckets. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Makes some good beer, though.

This is what I'd subscribe to. The other point is that quantity line, too. I asked myself, "Do I really need to brew more than 5 gallons at any time?" The answer, for me, is an emphatic no. I can always schedule another brew day in the same week, and it wouldn't be a big deal.

At that point, there's no reason why I'd need to go over an 11 gal brew kettle (for higher gravity 5 gallon batches), or the DIY Converted Rubbermaid MLT. I'm at a point where I just don't need additional equipment.

At some point, there might be a decision to "go pro," but that's a set of problems and expenses that only apply to that decision. I don't need to go there to be a hobbyist homebrewer, however.

This thread cracks me up.

Brewing is my cheap hobby.
I'm that way with straight razors. For me it is an end to a goal not really a hobby, not saying that is the case for you. I got what I needed, learned how to use it and now shave for damn near free with little initial output.

The folks I see on the razor forum took it the other way putting all kinds of money and time into the hobby with huge collections of blades and refurb tools and expensive brushes and whatnot.

Brewing on the other hand... yeah, not saving any money here.

I should call my brewery Craigslist Brewing Company.

First kit $0 - thanks mom-in-law
MLT $25
Carboys - 2 6 gallon 2 5 gallon 1 3 gallon $60
Keggle $15
Fryer $10
Temp Controller $50
Fridge $0
Immersion Chiller $40
Keg Setup $50

Total $250...

Back