The cold hard truth about rinsing yeast with boiled water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard people talk about negative flavor impact from trub before, but have not experienced it personally, nor have I seen any evidence supporting or refuting such a thing. I have seen reputable members here claim that at least some of the things that make up trub are in fact beneficial to the health of a yeast culture. Until I see some evidence saying otherwise, I'm not worried about my yeast cohabiting with trub, since my experience gives me no reason to worry.
In my experience the effect is highly dependent on the beers being brewed; lightly-flavoured beers can pick up flavours from unwashed yeast from a stronger flavoured beer. I've made this mistake a few times, with varying results (sometimes bad, sometimes good).

As for trub itself, I too have seen the claims of off flavours, but have never noticed any negative effects when I've done a poor job separating trub from wort.

Bryan

Also, it has been proven that any hops affects yeast reproduction negitavely. Hops are worse than the hot break proteins, and if you get a cold break, that's yeast food.

Do you have a reference for this? I am particularly interested in the characteristics and effects of hot break vs. cold break proteins.

Also, it has been proven that any hops affects yeast reproduction negitavely. Hops are worse than the hot break proteins, and if you get a cold break, that's yeast food.

Do you have a reference for this? I am particularly interested in the characteristics and effects of hot break vs. cold break proteins.

There are few references to the composition of the break material here.

WOW, I learned a lot from this thread. I have been reading and searching slowly in regards to yeast handling, washing and storage. I only started brewing within the last year and I truly enjoyed this thread.

I also did read the Sticky: Simple Yeast Storage Procedure with Photos...

Lager is my favourite and I am hoping to develop a recipe meeting my tastes, re-using the same yeast will assist me in making changes to my process and recipe as I attempt to have an awesome Lager in the future.

I just wanted to say thank you for all the information, speculation and examples.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back