The brewery is finished

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1749.jpg

Where'd you get the octagon shaped junction boxes you're using to cover up your elements? I can't seem to find any like this that aren't already full of holes and punchouts. Yours look like they're solid.

Kal

I really hate to thread jack, but if you can mount all the other components, like the reg, pump, etc.....why not mount a burner and have it sunk into the lower platform? It'd probably be safer, more aesthetic......and just as portable.:confused:

I thought the same thing...with the beautiful frame, first rate pump & chiller and high-tech control panel, it's a bit of a contrast to see a turkey fryer bolted to it!

Still, a really nice rig. I'm loving the compactness, and the articulated monitor stand supporting the control panel is a nice touch.

Where'd you get the octagon shaped junction boxes you're using to cover up your elements? I can't seem to find any like this that aren't already full of holes and punchouts. Yours look like they're solid.

Kal

The boxes are ceiling fan boxes. They do have knock outs and it sucked getting the 1" hole in the back for the element to pass through but I used a chassis punch and it worked fine.

Very nice! But posting those pictures without some explanations of the components is just a tease!

Tell us about your process - how it all works (in step form) from start to end. (Please?)

Some initial questions:

- You say your HLT and MLT are electric and I see two SSR's in the control panel but neither have heat sinks. Why? How big are the elements? The wire sizes "seem" to be 15A (max) so is that why? Is the backplane enough of a heat sink?

- By the looks of it you have 3 different power supplies in there. What are they for?

- You've got 2 other components in the bottom left and right of the control panel that I can't make out what they are...

Nice work!

Kal

The SSR's have heat sinks behind the panel so that is why you can't see them. They might be undersized but the SSR's do not get too hot. The wire size for the elements is 10g and there is 6g coming in from the outlet.

I think the other two componants that you see are mechanical relays, I use these for the 240v elements because they shut off both 110v legs to the elements with no bleed through like SSR's have.

The SSR's are used to switch the HERMS pump, sparge pump and HLT stir motor. The power supplies are used to power the SSR's and I am switching the 120 source to control them, I would have used just one power supply for all 3 SSR's but the mechanical relays are switched with 120v so I would have needed additional switches to activate the 12v relays and the 120v relays.

The boxes are ceiling fan boxes. They do have knock outs and it sucked getting the 1" hole in the back for the element to pass through but I used a chassis punch and it worked fine.
Thanks for the info. I couldn't see the punchouts I guess due the smallish size of the item in the picture.

The SSR's have heat sinks behind the panel so that is why you can't see them. They might be undersized but the SSR's do not get too hot. The wire size for the elements is 10g and there is 6g coming in from the outlet.
Sound perfect. 10# line (30A) means your elements are around 5000W or so? And you're feeding 50-60A into the whole system based on the 6# input line? Nice panel master switch on the unit too to cut the 50/60A. I need to figure out where to get something like that without spending $100!

I think the other two componants that you see are mechanical relays, I use these for the 240v elements because they shut off both 110v legs to the elements with no bleed through like SSR's have.
Nice. So it cuts off both legs. Good idea. I was actually thinking of adding a second SSR so that both legs are cut when the elements are off but your idea is interesting.

Great setup! Obvious that a lot of thought went into it.

Kal

Kal; why not just buy a SSRD instead of two SSR's?

On the OP why not add a 120/12 volt 50 watt transformer for your 120 and 12 volt control? One little $5 item.

I have a lot of surplus stuff laying around my shop, I used what I had without spending much. The only thing I bought was the wire and plugs, everything else was free.

SSRD's are hard to find cheap, they go for about $50 on eBay where standard SSR's go for around $8 - $12.

I'm helping a friend build a panel and we went with dual SSR's rather then the SSRD's.

DPST 30A relays are another option like the OP did. I really like that idea and you can get them for about $10-20 on ebay. Likely the route I'll take to fully cut power to the elements.

Kal

Back