The BIG Hop Mix-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistyMountainHops

Reaction score
So...I just did something pretty dumb. I was going to dry hop my AHS Hop Bomb clone, and I proceeded to open and dump in 4oz of random hops that were in my freezer, thinking since they said AHS on them, they went to this recipe. Well, I noticed I was a bit short (about 4oz short) and quickly realized I just dumped 4oz of hops from the AHS Festbier that I am making tomorrow into the (empty (luckily)) carboy that I was about to use for the Hop Bomb.

I dumped the mass of all additions of hops out of the carboy and into a air tight zip loc bag. My question is, what should I do? The hop schedule for tomorrow looked like this:

2oz Saaz @ 60
1oz Tettnag @ 15
1oz Spalt @ 5

I could go to the LHS and repurchase the correct hops, or I could divide the hops evenly into 2oz/1oz/1oz respectively and just add them at the suggested times. Is there going to be major flavor issues with this (aka will it make it taste super gnarly/not drinkable)? Obviously all these hops have diff AAs...What are my options?

Thanks in advance.

Separate each individual hop pellet into separate bags. Smell each one and separate into groups. Or maybe not... lol

I could divide the hops evenly into 2oz/1oz/1oz respectively and just add them at the suggested times.

There are some differences in the hops, but the beer will turn out okay.

Thanks! I wasn't really too stoked on going to the store again, so I was kind of just planning on mix n it up a bit regardless - I was just making sure it wasnt going to "ruin" the batch. The only thing that sucks is this is my first time making it so I dont have a base line to compare it to incase it does turn out "better."

Oh well - thanks again for yalls help.

Theres a difference in size in some pellets that u may be able to tell easily to seperate them... but u still wont know which one is which!

Dump em in! It will be your version of the AHS beer!

Back