The Best Mexican Beer Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bstrom3

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with any of these Mexican-style beer kits:

Cooper's Mexican Cerveza
Austin Homebrew Mexican Pilsner
Midwest Mexican Style Cerveza

I want to start brewing a Mexican-style beer soon so it will be ready for the summer time. Any insight on these kits would be much appreciated!

Cooper's is from australia. What do ozzies know about mexico? Precious little, mate.

Midwest Supplies is in Minneapolis, still a long way from mexico.

Austin is the capital of Tejas, and is therefore pretty much IN mexico.

Hope that helps.

For a serious reply, I haven't had a single clone recipe from AHB that wasn't really, really close.

I made a couple batches of AHS mexican beer and can't say anything bad about it. Its like a commercial Mexican beer with the flavor turned up to 11.

Anyone have any experience with any of these Mexican-style beer kits:

Cooper's Mexican Cerveza
Austin Homebrew Mexican Pilsner
Midwest Mexican Style Cerveza

I want to start brewing a Mexican-style beer soon so it will be ready for the summer time. Any insight on these kits would be much appreciated!

These are all going to be Corona-style beers that are basically really sweet twists on American lagers. They're fine, but sit heavy in the stomach and not really as drinkable a summer brew as many other Mexican beers, IMO.

If it were me, I'd go with the Austin Homebrew Mexican Amber Lager, which should lean more toward a Negro Modelo style beer--much crisper and more drinkable on a hot summer day than the cloying Mexi-pilsners.

These are all going to be Corona-style beers that are basically really sweet twists on American lagers. They're fine, but sit heavy in the stomach and not really as drinkable a summer brew as many other Mexican beers, IMO.

If it were me, I'd go with the Austin Homebrew Mexican Amber Lager, which should lean more toward a Negro Modelo style beer--much crisper and more drinkable on a hot summer day than the cloying Mexi-pilsners.

Thanks for the advice. The Mexican Amber does sound good but I was wondering if that would be closer to Dos Equis Amber or Negra Modelo? Both would be an upgrade over a Corona-tasting beer though in my opinion.

I brewed the Midwest one and no one really cared for it. Maybe I should have used dirty water and clear bottles though!

Back