The Beer Captured book and sparging specialty grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
I'm doing my first recipe from this book. When it says to sparge the specialty grains after steeping them I just catch the grain in a colander and dump the water over them right?

Yeah, that would work. My preference is to have the grains in a bag to begin with, so then I just lift out the bag and put it in a colander and pour the sparge water over it.

I steep my grains on the stove top and while this is going on I bring the water in my brew pot up to 170 degrees. When the grains have steeped for 45 minutes I take the grain bag and dunk it up and down a few times in the 170 brew pot water. I then poor the water from the grains in the pot and bring to a boil.

Maybe it's just me and being an efficiency nerd (I'm sure with steeping grains, efficiency is the last thing to worry about), but I even squeeze every last drop of water I can back out of them. It never hurts to get the most sugars you can! :D

There is conflicting evidence that suggests squeezing can introduce unwanted tannins. The same evidence suggests that there are no fermentable sugars to be derived from steeping specialty grains.

That said, I squeeze mine well with no noticeably bad effects.

Back