The Archaeology of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binkman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Haven't been on here recently. Haven't brewed recently. Real life (money and school) keep getting in the way. On the topic of money and school, I spent the winter break between the Fall 2011 and Spring 2012 semester teaching a 3-week class, "The Archaeology of Beer" to about 25 undergraduates. They got a humanities credit out of it. I posted about this last semester when I started to put the class together. If there's any general interest on here, I'm posting a link to the class syllabus. If anyone is interested I'll post a link to the power points at some point, too. After the exam on Friday I can even post that. Just thought you beer geeks might get a kick out of it.

Syllabus

(Let me know if the link doesn't work!)

:mug:

================

[EDIT] 1/26/11 adding links to slideshows:

Here are the slides. I converted them all to PDFs for the sake of compatibility. I made the original files on a mac and apparently mac and pc power point files don't cross-over very well. The PDFs should chew up less RAM anyway.

Lecture 1 - Introduction to Archaeology and Beer
Lecture 2 - The Psychological, Physiological, and Sociological effects of Alcohol
Lecture 3 - The Multidisciplinary Search for Ancient Beer
Lecture 4 - Beer in Ancient Mesopotamia
Lecture 5 - Beer in Ancient Egypt
Lecture 6 - Beer in Pre-Columbian Americas

The course focused first on defining beer in relation to other fermented beverages, then demonstrating what sorts of roles alcohol consumption and production plays in our society and other societies. Then a case by case study of brewing and consumption in three different parts of the ancient world: Mesopotamia, Egypt, and the Americas.

Because the course was only three weeks long and I was jamming a LOT of information in there, a lot is left out, too. Also, the final class revolved around the relationship between beer and civilization. There were no slides for that class, it was a kind of end of the course discussion section for people to react to all this information.

I'll post the exam tomorrow when I give it to the class. Can't take the risk that someone stumbles upon tomorrows exam just by using teh googley.
[/EDIT]

cool, thanks for sharing. it looks like you put a lot of thought into that class. i would have loved to take it in my undergrad days!

Wow, thanks. I'm in the middle of a "History of Beer and Brewing" class and just yesterday finished about 200 pages on the Neolithic period.

What school do you teach at?

Sorry, but this is what popped into my head...
giorgio-beer.JPG

Nice! Check out "How Beer Saved the World". I think that's the title anyway, its on netflix. Pretty light, but entertaining.

Here are the slides. I converted them all to PDFs for the sake of compatibility. I made the original files on a mac and apparently mac and pc power point files don't cross-over very well. The PDFs should chew up less RAM anyway.

Lecture 1 - Introduction to Archaeology and Beer
Lecture 2 - The Psychological, Physiological, and Sociological effects of Alcohol
Lecture 3 - The Multidisciplinary Search for Ancient Beer
Lecture 4 - Beer in Ancient Mesopotamia
Lecture 5 - Beer in Ancient Egypt
Lecture 6 - Beer in Pre-Columbian Americas

The course focused first on defining beer in relation to other fermented beverages, then demonstrating what sorts of roles alcohol consumption and production plays in our society and other societies. Then a case by case study of brewing and consumption in three different parts of the ancient world: Mesopotamia, Egypt, and the Americas.

Because the course was only three weeks long and I was jamming a LOT of information in there, a lot is left out, too. Also, the final class revolved around the relationship between beer and civilization. There were no slides for that class, it was a kind of end of the course discussion section for people to react to all this information.

I'll post the exam tomorrow when I give it to the class. Can't take the risk that someone stumbles upon tomorrows exam just by using teh googley.

Before I forget to mention it:

If any of the images on those slides happen to be copyrighted, their use here is intended for educational purposes only. Fair use mother****ahs.

Back