The 5 Gallon Flood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mforsman

Reaction score
I received a frantic call from SWMBO stating that there was water coming from under the stove. We moved out of a basement apartment earlier this year to get away from the constant flooding. Needless to say, she was pissed.

"Those stupid bro neighbors fell asleep while their water was running."

I was at the brew store and rushed (forgetting to pick up a few things) to get home. After an hour and a half on the subway I finally get home to discover my bottling bucket spigot broke (this is the second time it's happened full of sanitizer) and slowly leaked out almost all 5 gallons.

Does starsan eat away at the spigot plastic? Both time this has happened it was with starsan that was in it for a day or two.

Anyways, needless to say I'm no longer allowed to use the bottling bucket for anything but bottling.

star san does not eat plastic at least none of the plastic buckets i've used to store star san in for months at a time.

I'd be more suspicious of the rubber o-ring on the inside part of the spigot. I store Starsan in a plastic jug all the time, but maybe the rubber is different. Seems like that's the weak link, given the information available. Did you retry the spigot later with water? Is it holding?

image-633322740.jpg

I must have somehow bumped it against something and the plastic broke. I hadn't touched it all day and my lady noticed it around 7 pm.

mforsman said:
I received a frantic call from SWMBO stating that there was water coming from under the stove. We moved out of a basement apartment earlier this year to get away from the constant flooding. Needless to say, she was pissed.

"Those stupid bro neighbors fell asleep while their water was running."

I was at the brew store and rushed (forgetting to pick up a few things) to get home. After an hour and a half on the subway I finally get home to discover my bottling bucket spigot broke (this is the second time it's happened full of sanitizer) and slowly leaked out almost all 5 gallons.

Does starsan eat away at the spigot plastic? Both time this has happened it was with starsan that was in it for a day or two.

Anyways, needless to say I'm no longer allowed to use the bottling bucket for anything but bottling.

The spigots break under stress and heat. I've broken two. I live in Dallas and the garage is hell in the Summer. Don't over tighten the spigot. If you do, it will fail after a few months.

Latest posts

Back