The 2014 NHC First Round - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does mini-BOS mean if all you got was as scoresheet? I got a mini BOS checked for my brew (Lambic = 42) , but not sure what the means Re: if anything else is going to happen. "Place awarded" is blank? Does that mean I'm done and can drink the rest? Just checking. Thanks!

What does mini-BOS mean if all you got was as scoresheet? I got a mini BOS checked for my brew (Lambic = 42) , but not sure what the means Re: if anything else is going to happen. "Place awarded" is blank? Does that mean I'm done and can drink the rest? Just checking. Thanks!

The answer is not too far above these posts, but basically it's like this: Judges can only taste so many beers. So for a category that has 30 entries there will be 3 teams (of 2 judges per team) judging 10 entries each. Each judging team advances it's best beers to the "mini BOS (best of show)". Then the mini BOS is judged anew, and the final places are awarded. I wouldn't drink my remaining beer just yet if I were you. Some cites are mailing sheets before the AHA has had a chance to certify the results. This could mean you got a place on your scoresheet that's not accurate, or that you didn't get a place on your scoresheet even though you advanced.

It may very well be that you didn't advance, but if you drink the rest of your beer and find out you did, you'll have really screwed the pooch.

Thanks, that's what I thought, but wanted a straightforward response. I am easily confused by the BJCP ( as to why neither of my judges were experienced, for such a complex brew. ) One was recognized, the other rank pending. Not much constructive feedback.\

Edit: not mad or whining, just curious.

Thanks, that's what I thought, but wanted a straightforward response. I am easily confused by the BJCP ( as to why neither of my judges were experienced, for such a complex brew. ) One was recognized, the other rank pending. Not much constructive feedback.\

Edit: not mad or whining, just curious.

Both of those judges are very experienced. Recognized takes a lot of work and experience, and Rank Pending could easily be a recognized judge who hasn't received his/her test results yet. I've judged over 30 different contests and I'm "provisional" still waiting for a test site. Edit: By the time I sit for my exam, I'll have over 50 different judging experiences, including several high level contests.

"Recognized" isn't a glorious term, but I assure you it's a judge that's worked really hard for quite some time to get where they are.

Got my score sheets from NYC today. Two moving forward - the same ones as last year. Both in Cat. 2. Took 1st and 2nd with a 41.5 and a 39 (Ger pils and CAP respectively)

Bock scored a 38. Recognized judge gave it a 40, provisional judge a 35.

Std. American lager got 30.5 - They liked it, but it was a bit too bitter for the style. I had debated which category to enter it in.

Both of those judges are very experienced. Recognized takes a lot of work and experience, and Rank Pending could easily be a recognized judge who hasn't received his/her test results yet. I've judged over 30 different contests and I'm "provisional" still waiting for a test site. Edit: By the time I sit for my exam, I'll have over 50 different judging experiences, including several high level contests.

"Recognized" isn't a glorious term, but I assure you it's a judge that's worked really hard for quite some time to get where they are.

The judging ranks are really meaningless, especially at the lower ranks.

Currently, I'm a Recognized judge, but I scored over 80 on the tasting exam. I'll have 5 points after my next competition and will become Certified. I'll have to wait for National until I receive my written exam results and obtain 20 experience points. I taste beers all the time and judge in homebrew club events every month.

The point I'm attempting to make is a judge's rank does not reflect their ability to taste and analyze a beer. Again, this is more applicable at the lower rank. However, the rank does inform the contestant of the judge's current ranking based on their scores and current experience points. There's been several complaints of National judges writing terrible sheets.

I wouldn't disregard a judge's feedback based on their rank. Focus on their feedback and descriptive ability of your beer.

don't lose that nervousness yet.
a cobrewer and I won the IPA category in KC with a 39. Other advanced with 36, 37, 38, and 39 albeit in significantly smaller categories. And I judged the 41-pt 60/- that won the KC region.
Sounds like most and possibly even all of the Philly top 3 were marked on the coversheet, but don't go drinking your last bottles yet.

either way, congrats on some excellent scores. :mug:

Mine were not marked but they announced the winners at the comp. and it placed. I know some winners were not marked in Philly.

I got my score sheets from NYC today too. Nothing advanced but I was expecting that since the beers I entered were the first ones I brewed on my new system. Next year hopefully I'll do better.

Currently, I'm a Recognized judge, but I scored over 80 on the tasting exam. I'll have 5 points after my next competition and will become Certified. I'll have to wait for National until I receive my written exam results and obtain 20 experience points. I taste beers all the time and judge in homebrew club events every month.

The point I'm attempting to make is a judge's rank does not reflect their ability to taste and analyze a beer. Again, this is more applicable at the lower rank. However, the rank does inform the contestant of the judge's current ranking based on their scores and current experience points. There's been several complaints of National judges writing terrible sheets.
I wouldn't disregard a judge's feedback based on their rank. Focus on their feedback and descriptive ability of your beer.

I just wish I had gotten more feedback, rather than "good, good". Oh well :). Thanks for the responses guys, and for all the hard work you do.

I simple 'We finished all the judging today, score sheets will mail this week." would be good enough for me...for now.

I totally agree, and hope that you didn't read my post to say anything contrary to this. I assume you were just adding to the point I was trying to make. :mug:

Need word on St Paul. So anxious. Enjoying a Cigar City 5 beers for 5 years New Zealand DIPA hoping for the best.

A buddy of mine judged there in St. Paul all weekend. PM me your name and I'll see if he remembers. They announced the results there after judging last night so if you have an odd name that sticks out, he may recall.

A buddy of mine judged there in St. Paul all weekend. PM me your name and I'll see if he remembers. They announced the results there after judging last night so if you have an odd name that sticks out, he may recall.

Does he recall a Michael Hfuhruhurr or Anne Uumellmahaye?

Anyone heard anything out of Nashville? :fro:

Does he recall a Michael Hfuhruhurr or Anne Uumellmahaye?

Anyone heard anything out of Nashville? :fro:

Based on the post on the Nashville club's Facebook page, it appears they are shooting to be the first center to start judging and the last to mail out scores. So far, they are right on track to meet that goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I received my score sheets from NYC yesterday.

I had two entries. My Coffee Barrel Stout placed 2nd with a 35. Thinking that is good enough to move on.

Something went south with my second entry (a Kolsch). My scores were terrible (18) with both judges noting significant flaws.

I just tried the same beer on tap and don't find any of the flaws the judges mentioned. In fact, this same batch scored a 39 and took 2nd place in the Hudson Valley Homebrew Competition last month. Can't imagine what could have cause the rapid degradation of quality.

Onward and upward.

Based on the post on the Nashville club's Facebook page, it appears they are shooting to be the first center to start judging and the last to mail out scores. So far, they are right on track to meet that goal.

Right now there's some guy in Nashville who has 30+ cases of beer piled up on his front porch. He's got a corncob pipe in his mouth, a cane fishing pole in his right hand, & entry #3654 in his left hand. More than likely, dipping his toes in the Cumberland river, laughing at us for sending 750 beers his way. Makes me wanna sing the blues & strum my banjo. :D

Very aggravating....I hope the AHA sends out surveys to us. Seriously, I have a few things that I'd like to say about that.

Doesn't seem like Denver has posted either...usually I'm not this needy but I keep refreshing the site over and again hoping to see something :drunk:

They don't purposely post anything on the AHA or competition log in site at this point. IF you happen to get in and see something, it is not because they "posted" them. I still can't access my Kansas City Scores/places - even though I received my score sheets in the mail 2 weeks ago. My guess is it will be 1-2 weeks for sure before anything "official" is posted, or scores are available on the log in pages. At this point - the best you can hope for is glitches in the software, someone who was there passing on information, and a quick turnaround on scoresheets.

They don't purposely post anything on the AHA or competition log in site at this point. IF you happen to get in and see something, it is not because they "posted" them. I still can't access my Kansas City Scores/places - even though I received my score sheets in the mail 2 weeks ago. My guess is it will be 1-2 weeks for sure before anything "official" is posted, or scores are available on the log in pages. At this point - the best you can hope for is glitches in the software, someone who was there passing on information, and a quick turnaround on scoresheets.

Still an effed up process. :)

Muahah! Just heard a from a judge friend that me and my brewing partner took 2nd Place Denver Region for our Cream Ale and our Tripel took second for its category as well!

Congrats too all who entered and good luck!

Yep, I'm sure all about organization. Nashville probably has a big stack of unorganized score sheets that they're dreading collating, stuffing into envelopes, addressing, and mailing, whereas KC probably had an addressed, alphabetized stack of envelopes ready for every entrant that they sorted the score sheets into after every flight.

The old "clean as you cook" adage applies here, I think.

They say opinions are like arseholes but I think the saying really should assumptions are like aresholes. If you want to know how a region organizes and handles score sheets show up and volunteer to help.

I am not a member of the organizing club/group in Nashville but I was there judging for multiple categories. There was a team of 3 to 4 individuals who collected the score sheets from each category as they were finished and recorded in the computer. They were alphabetically sorted into folders with the entrants name on them the day of the competition.

They could not mail score sheets until all categories were finished and all data was submitted to the AHA. The AHA set timelines and deadlines for all phases of the competition. So far I have not heard one situation where any of the judging centers including Nashville has surpassed a deadline.

A little patience and understanding of what it takes to receive, sort, organize, and judge over 700 competition entries with a completely volunteer staff goes a long way.

For those that were all bent out of shape regarding the call for judges I agree that the wording of the post previously referenced was unfortunate. If it helps There were Recognized, Certified, National, and Master judges present throughout the judging. Gary Glass from the AHA was also present and judging at the Nashville location on the main Friday, Saturday, and Sunday judging sessions. All categories were judged by anywhere from 3 to 10 pairs of judges. Every pair included at least one ranked BJCP judge. The Mini-BOS was judged by to highest ranking 2 to 4 judges from the judging pairs of the category. Many of the non BJCP judges I encountered were extremely experienced brewers, a few professional brewers, and some judges who have yet to take the tasting exam. Pretty much like every BJCP competition ever done in the nearly 10 years I have been involved with homebrewing and competitions. This included the last two categories that they were unable to finish during the main weekend of judging.

If you entered the NHC for feedback you entered the wrong competition. If you are worried about getting beers through to the second round than submit better beers. The over all quality of entries was very low. There was a ton of mediocre beer, a good bit of truly bad beer, and a rare few outstanding beers. It was not a fun competition to judge for me and I have had far better beer at other small BJCP competitions. If you brew really good beer and submitted to Nashville you are probably in good shape and need to get bottles ready for round two.

Other notes I do not care for the new checklist score sheets. I pride myself on giving good feedback when judging a competition and I feel like I am cheating an entrant if I do not give some explanation of what I sensed for their entry. The new score sheets are not well suited or structured for that. There is certainly some room but it is limited and the AHA really did not seem to want judges to write many comments as was previously mentioned in this thread.

Well enough of my own bitching about others whining and bitching.

Congrats to those of you who did advance entries to the second round and good luck to those that have yet to get their results.

I spent part of this weekend getting new batches of my two advancing entries going and in the fermenters.

They say opinions are like arseholes but I think the saying really should assumptions are like aresholes. If you want to know how a region organizes and handles score sheets show up and volunteer to help.

I am not a member of the organizing club/group in Nashville but I was there judging for multiple categories. There was a team of 3 to 4 individuals who collected the score sheets from each category as they were finished and recorded in the computer. They were alphabetically sorted into folders with the entrants name on them the day of the competition.

They could not mail score sheets until all categories were finished and all data was submitted to the AHA. The AHA set timelines and deadlines for all phases of the competition. So far I have not heard one situation where any of the judging centers including Nashville has surpassed a deadline.

A little patience and understanding of what it takes to receive, sort, organize, and judge over 700 competition entries with a completely volunteer staff goes a long way.

For those that were all bent out of shape regarding the call for judges I agree that the wording of the post previously referenced was unfortunate. If it helps There were Recognized, Certified, National, and Master judges present throughout the judging. Gary Glass from the AHA was also present and judging at the Nashville location on the main Friday, Saturday, and Sunday judging sessions. All categories were judged by anywhere from 3 to 10 pairs of judges. Every pair included at least one ranked BJCP judge. The Mini-BOS was judged by to highest ranking 2 to 4 judges from the judging pairs of the category. Many of the non BJCP judges I encountered were extremely experienced brewers, a few professional brewers, and some judges who have yet to take the tasting exam. Pretty much like every BJCP competition ever done in the nearly 10 years I have been involved with homebrewing and competitions. This included the last two categories that they were unable to finish during the main weekend of judging.

If you entered the NHC for feedback you entered the wrong competition. If you are worried about getting beers through to the second round than submit better beers. The over all quality of entries was very low. There was a ton of mediocre beer, a good bit of truly bad beer, and a rare few outstanding beers. It was not a fun competition to judge for me and I have had far better beer at other small BJCP competitions. If you brew really good beer and submitted to Nashville you are probably in good shape and need to get bottles ready for round two.

Other notes I do not care for the new checklist score sheets. I pride myself on giving good feedback when judging a competition and I feel like I am cheating an entrant if I do not give some explanation of what I sensed for their entry. The new score sheets are not well suited or structured for that. There is certainly some room but it is limited and the AHA really did not seem to want judges to write many comments as was previously mentioned in this thread.

Congrats to those of you who did advance entries to the second round and good luck to those that have yet to get their results.

I spent part of this weekend getting new batches of my two advancing entries going and in the fermenters.
It is FANTASTIC to hear about the integrity of the competition in Nashville. After John responded to concerns about the "newbie" post, I think any of those concerns were laid to rest. The issue that most people, including myself, seem to be taking is the delay in judging, lack of sufficient resources, & lackluster response to inquiries. Stuff happens, Johnny Q Public can understand that! However, when a majority of sites are capable of responding with scoresheets relatively quickly & Nashville's director is sticking to his "due by" & "required by" guns, you can't expect those people who submitted beers there to just shut their mouths. We're hearing all the exiciting news about our brothers & sisters getting their scoresheets while we wait. We want to get excited!! We want to join in on the fun! If the AHA didn't want sites to send out scoresheets early, that's one thing, but that is not the case. It is within Nashville's power to do so, just like other spots. BUT that isnt happening & we're the bad guys for crying about it?!? I think not! Tito, get me some tissue...

anyone heard if Chicago finished their judging? I know it was slated for Friday, I assume it took the whole weekend. Just curious. Thx.

Muahah! Just heard a from a judge friend that me and my brewing partner took 2nd Place Denver Region for our Cream Ale and our Tripel took second for its category as well!

Congrats too all who entered and good luck!

Congratulations! Did your friend happen to confirm that all judging is finished for Denver? And any word on when they may send out score sheets?

I judged a different region and would echo what you said about the quality of the beers being low. Not just my opinion but those judging at tables around me. One of the Master judges even talked about it. Of the flights I judged, I had one beer that I thought was worthy of passing on to a Mini BOS.

I also believe it was a huge mistake on the part of the AHA to schedule any judging the week of the Brewers Conference and World Beer Cup. That pulled a lot of quality judges out of several regions this week. In my region, we were short handed on judges and they were trying to figure out a way to judge everything.

My score sheets were waiting for me when I got home yesterday. My dopplebock got 2nd with a score of 41 while my old ale, chipotle imperial stout, and DIPA got 35 (mini-BOS), 37, and 32.5 respectively. Overall I'm happy with my scores, though I was honestly expecting more from the old ale since it got a higher score last year and the National judge who judged said it would be even better with some age, which I agreed with. I even tried it last week and thought it was better. Oh well, **** happens. Just happy I got one through.

Congratulations! Did your friend happen to confirm that all judging is finished for Denver? And any word on when they may send out score sheets?

From what I've heard (consider it a rumor) Denver judging is complete and scoresheets are going out today. I will stress the fact that this is all second-hand information from a volunteer steward.

I just hope he's not pulling a late April fools on me. :confused:

Latest posts

Back