That moment between pitching and first airlock activity...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCericola

Reaction score
It drives me insane. I pace. I go over in my mind everything I could have possibly done wrong.

Please tell me I'm not alone. Please.

You aren't alone, but your worries are misplaced. As long as you didn't pitch dead yeast, you will get beer.

Making and pitching a yeast starter kinda tales all that worry away, you know the yeast is healthy and your got plenty of it so it'll definitely fire up and the lag is shorter because of the starter.

Not by a long shot - I think most brewers feel this to a certain extent.

I wouldn't know, mine start very quickly :cross:

You're good man, depending on the strain and the pitching temp, you're looking anywhere from 3-18 hours before signs of activity if you're pitching enough yeast from an active starter.

First year: OMGOMGOMG *heart attack*

Second year: OK, where did I screw up this time...

Third year: C'mon then....hurry up & ferment already!!

Fourth year: Hmmm...I should do an IRS next...

On Friday I picked up ingredients to brew on Saturday and at the last minute decided to make a yeast starter. I put the vial of White Labs yes next to a floor register which is over our wood stove to bring it to room temp. As I prepped the starter I forgot about the vial and when I remembered it the vial was pretty warm. When I did open it to add it to the wort it was kind of lumpy and I was hoping I didn't overdo it.

It only had about 16 hours to work and it didn't seem all that active when I added it to the fermenter. I kept checking the rest of the day and all seemed quiet in the fermenter but this morning it's bubbling along nicely.

I've done over 200 batches, never had one fail to start, and every time I always worry until I get the first sign of fermentation.

Using a glass carboy or beter bottle lets you see the fermentation activity and help you get over your concerns.

I'm considering better bottle but then I realized I'd do nothing but stare at it.

Though, once I get the fermentation chamber built (old freezer) I think I'm going to install a webcam so I can watch airlocks, etc.

I check on mine a lot. The first sign for me is tiny air bubbles in my airlock. It looks like seltzer water in there. That's prior to the bloop bloop that we all know and love. I ferment in a spare bedroom and I can sometimes hear it and it lulls me to sleep.

Back