That feel when 5 gallons of IIPA now costs you $63

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbrews

Reaction score
Skipped a year of homebrewing and the prices for ingredients & shipping now seem ridiculous. Best place to shop to get all of these ingredients for cheaper?

Base Malt 12-Lbs
Caramalt 1-Lb
White Wheat 1-Lb

IBU Injector 10 ml
Simcoe pellets (2014 season) 4 oz
Amarillo pellets (2014 season) 4 oz
Centennial pellets (2014 season) 4 oz

OYL-052 Yeast

Subtotal:

$51.74

Shipping:

$10.99

Grand Total:

$62.73

Nah. I always bought online, usually in bulk. This time I just need enough ingredients for one batch.

Crossing fingers for Black Friday coupon codes.

IMHO, I'd think about getting in on group buys, and buy in bulk. You can drop that cost a lot.

idk where you live but farmhouse can bet that price for me by 10$, I have no LHBS trick is to buy in bulk, and reuse yeast.
1LAX0s0.png

Recommend a 10/10 IIPA that I haven't tried also available in NJ this time of year?

You want me to find out what IIPAs are available in NJ this time of year and out of those you want me to do further research and find out what kind of scores those beers have gotten on places like ratebeer and filter out the non-stellar beers and then you want me to post my findings and then you can tell me which ones you've already tried? Is this what you're asking me to do?

Dude, you gotta start buying bulk.

Hops are around $20/lb - $1.25/oz for high-demand hops (Citra, Mosaic, etc)
Grains are under $1/lb
Specialty grains ~$1.50/lb

I can put together a double IPA for $30 or less

Yeah, everything has gone up.

Two years ago when I started, I got a pound of Citra hops for $20 (regular price).

I just ordered another pound for $20, but that was at a 30% discount off 'regular' price.

S-04 and S-05 have both gone up about a dollar a pack in that time too (25%!!!)

If you want cheaper, bulk is a must (but I assume you know that).

You want me to find out what IIPAs are available in NJ this time of year and out of those you want me to do further research and find out what kind of scores those beers have gotten on places like ratebeer and filter out the non-stellar beers and then you want me to post my findings and then you can tell me which ones you've already tried? Is this what you're asking me to do?

Yes, and have it on my desk before noon, Mkay?

if you are not real busy that is ;)

Your best bet outside of buying bulk is to get in on sales on hops. I did that and saved a little. I just got a mill so buying bulk base grain is happening and I'll eventually realize which speciality grain I'll use enough to buy in bulk. Prices went up slightly since I started, just over a year ago, but I still believe that outside of the equipment purchases, ingredients to make a beer are still less than some commercial beers I also continue to buy.

Also, liquid yeast is expensive. I don't reuse but if you can, do it and it'll save you cash.

60ish sounds about right to me for most of my IPA recipes. If I want to make cheaper batches I make malty styles. I think all said and done my hopslam clone ended up around 65. If I bought 50ish bottles of Hopslam I'm pretty sure it would've ended up costing me more than 130, so I think thats pretty good savings.

Not that your concerns are unfounded but with the expansion of the hobby as it is, prices may see fluctuation while demand outstrips supply. Once prices make it so brewing a 5 gallon batch of a perfect clone of a commercial beer, once the prices reach a point that would make it cost the same as buying it in the store, then I may start thinking "maybe I shouldn't homebrew anymore".

http://www.hopsdirect.com/ and a vacuum sealer and freezer. :rockin: They sell by the pound and you really have to see the prices. many of the hops are under a dollar an ounce. Try the Belma when the get it in 7.95 a pound last year. I buy my main hops once a year, if I want something special then I just bite the bullet. I live in Oregon so they are close ish to me so shipping was only 12 bucks and I bought 6 pounds.

idk where you live but farmhouse can bet that price for me by 10$, I have no LHBS trick is to buy in bulk, and reuse yeast.
http://i.imgur.com/1LAX0s0.png[/IMG[/quote]

Aware, but no yeast on hand so I'd have to buy it thus increasing cost.

[quote="LandoLincoln, post: 6514504"]You want me to find out what IIPAs are available in NJ this time of year and out of those you want me to do further research and find out what kind of scores those beers have gotten on places like ratebeer and filter out the non-stellar beers and then you want me to post my findings and then you can tell me which ones you've already tried? Is this what you're asking me to do?[/quote]

I was being facetious. But thanks for the giggle m8.

[quote="wilserbrewer, post: 6514601"]Not sure about the 10/10, but I find the Carton 077XX rather palatable.
[url]http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26817/74065/[/url][/quote]

Had it many times. Good stuff. I prefer less grapefruit, more dankness, more pine like Heady.

[quote="Bobbybob, post: 6515433"]Try the Belma when the get it in 7.95 a pound last year.[/quote]

Absolutely hated Belma. Mild flavor full of grassy, herbaceous, musky notes. Bought a lb. of it 2 years ago and I tried utilizing it twice for two completely different American IIPAs to no satisfaction.

If i'm spending > $50 on a batch (Mead, anyone?)...i just think, "don't screw it up, don't screw it up"

Why are you paying shipping? Just order from someone who offers free shipping and buy enough of your next batch ingredients or some equipment or something at the same time to get over the free shipping order cost. Even if you have enough ingredients otherwise, you'll need something. Build a yeast stockpile or get the kit to propagate yeast, or something.

e.g. AG Pliny kit from Morebeer plus another kit for a total of $70, with the IIPA kit costing $46 (I can't be bothered to add up the price of all the ingredients to get a recipe price... ;) ).

Know the feeling. Just spent about the same on my last IPA. Time to buy in bulk!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Exit 16 is a personal favorite

Yeah. Good beer. Had it many times.

Why are you paying shipping? Just order from someone who offers free shipping and buy enough of your next batch ingredients or some equipment or something at the same time to get over the free shipping order cost.

Most websites charge for shipping. At least the ones with the ingredients I need, fresh and in stock.

http://www.hopsdirect.com/ and a vacuum sealer and freezer. :rockin: They sell by the pound and you really have to see the prices. many of the hops are under a dollar an ounce. Try the Belma when the get it in 7.95 a pound last year. I buy my main hops once a year, if I want something special then I just bite the bullet. I live in Oregon so they are close ish to me so shipping was only 12 bucks and I bought 6 pounds.

+1 here. I get my hops from a different supplier but buy all of them by the lb and vacuum seal. If there are other hops i'm interested in i'll buy a half pound. For grains I buy in bulk and others per recipe. Reusing yeast will help a lot too...especially at $8-9 per pack/vial.

Latest posts

Back