Texas Trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
It is sounding like I may have to make a trip to Texas soon for a funeral. Anything I should see or do along my route? It will most likely be a straight shot from Illinois - Oklahoma City - San Antonio, and a more leisurely pace back north via Arkansas leg.

I/We have seen the Kennedy stuff in Dallas, and been to Memphis several times. So looking for other suggestions. Also Any must stop places to eat along the entire route.

I am thinking about a side trip to Shilo Battlefield, Anybody been there? Is it decent National Park?

proposed route below.

<iframe style="height: 270px; width: 450px;" src="http://www.mapquest.com/embed?hk=1o4s5Aq" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Austin is more fun than San Antonio IMO. Lots of great food and beer. I'm thinking that might be a travel challenge since it's only 1.5 hours from San Antonio though....not a great place to break up a trip.

On the way down I recommend stopping at the Czech Stop in West, TX. It's a little north of Waco. Fantastic kolaches.

And make sure to find your way to a few BBQ joints....

Maybe check out Freetail Brewing company while you're in San Antonio for some good food and craft beer. Or Blue Star.

Not sure what your schedule looks like, but if you happen to be passing through Austin on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, then Jester King Brewery is a great place to get some good pizza and try a few great sour beers.

I'm sure you'll be in a hurry to get on down the road, but if you happen to stop in New Braunfels (you'll be passing through between Austin and San Antonio) I'd be more than happy to buy you a beer or lunch or something. :mug:

+1 on bakeries in West if you take that route. They may not look like much, but they make all sorts of belt busting goodies.

There's a drivethrough zoo (wildlife park) and some caves on the way to San Antonio.

Austin? Jester King brewery and 6th street.

The Riverwalk and the Alamo in San Antonio if you want to do the tourist thing, or 6th street in Austin. The Hill Country area is riddled with old German communities/tourist traps, most of which are pretty cool. Lots of good German food.

Waco kind of sucks, but right outside is West, which has some good Czech bakeries, as has been mentioned.

You'll be passing by plenty of breweries in Dallas/ft worth, Austin, new Braunfels, and San Antonio, plus many more scattered around the hill country area if you're willing to make a detour or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The Riverwalk and the Alamo in San Antonio

Speaking of the Alamo, Do you know anything about the recreation of the Alamo where they filmed the movie? My dad, saw something about it on TV the other day. He thought it might be interesting to see it in its more authentic setting, when we got back down there, before we got the news about my aunt.

When last there, a friend of my Aunt and Uncle informed me that if I did not pay my respects at the Alamo, it could not be assured that I would make it out of Texas. My aunt later informed me that, that the woman was a descendant of someone who fought at the Alamo, and of a original Spanish settler, in the San Antonio area.

Not wanting to stir up any bad mojo We went.

Speaking of the Alamo, Do you know anything about the recreation of the Alamo where they filmed the movie? My dad, saw something about it on TV the other day. He thought it might be interesting to see it in its more authentic setting, when we got back down there, before we got the news about my aunt.

No, I didn't even know that it was still standing. That would be really cool to see. I'll have to drag SWMBO out there, wherever that is. The real Alamo is fantastic to visit, but it kind of sucks that it's right in the middle of downtown San Antonio.

When last there, a friend of my Aunt and Uncle informed me that if I did not pay my respects at the Alamo, it could not be assured that I would make it out of Texas. My aunt later informed me that, that the woman was a descendant of someone who fought at the Alamo, and of a original Spanish settler, in the San Antonio area.

Not wanting to stir up any bad mojo We went.

Sadly, it's true. It's a very real law, google it. Had you not gone, governor perry would have put out a fatwa on you, and I would have been honor-bound to hunt you down like a deer all the way to the border. :p

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Looks like the replica Alamo is a no-go, it closed a few years ago, the rancher that owned it died, and his family shut it down. It was in bracketville.

I also made sure to get a photo standing at the gate of the Alamo, so I had proof I had been there to pay my respects. I will download it to my phone before I leave just in case.

If you can make it down to Luling or Lockhart, Texas... neither is real far from San Antonio.... you can find some of the best central Texas BBQ places...

Luling and Lockhart are only about twenty minutes apart... they are a bit east of San Antonio.

Lockhart has three famous places, Smitty's, Black's and Kreuz. My favorite is Black's... but everyones opinion is different..

Luling has City Market, which is another legendary Texas bbq place.

Latest posts

Back