Texas hops, year 1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllisTX

Reaction score
I've got a Cascade and Centennial from small rhizomes and a Chinook from a 2nd year crown. The Centennial has gone nuts from day 1. My Cascade suffered a work/caterpillar attack that I got under control with BT. My Chinook has developed some sort of issue. I got some fertilizer today that contains all the trace elements and applied. Hopefully that helps. Any suggestions? The first and second pick is the Chinook. The last is Cent.

Also, the hops have about 12 feet of rope to climb. Do I need to extend the rope or can I just let them bunch up at the top of my homemade trellis?

20120629_125625.jpg

20120629_125632.jpg

20120629_125657.jpg

Few more detailed pics. Nothing wrong with the pic containing the cones, just wanted to show them off;)

20120629_133428.jpg

20120629_133437.jpg

20120629_133452.jpg

I'm no expert. But this looks like my hops did when I didn't water them enough. I grow in 5 gal buckets and I think with the heat it's easy for them to dry out in the pots. Good luck.

Check out this post on freshhops.com. Could be a potassium deficiency?

Good to see fellow hops growers in TX.

It could be over/underwatering but honestly the plants look pretty good as a whole. If they are flowering they will often start declining because their energies are being focused into flower production.

I would remove some of the lower leaves to prevent any wilt problems but largely they don't look too bad.

I soak the pot then wait till I stick my finger a few inches the soil and it's dry to rewater. The white on the leaves is garden dust. I normally water every other day. My soil mix drains really well.

I am going to be starting a Hop Garden in Feb 2013 what would be 3 of the best types that do ok in Texas? Any and all help is welcome Thanks.

JMG:

This is my first year of hops growing and my Chinook and Nugget are looking pretty good, even in the heat. The Hallertauer are surprising me in that they're surviving, if not thriving. Cascade didn't show much this year, but I'm looking forward to next year's growth. The Sterling and Willamette never showed a sprig, but that might just be from bad rhizome stock.

Luck to you!

My second year cascade went crazy this year. Id guess 6 oz dried with more still hanging on the vine. First year centennial has been slow but still growing.

Latest posts

Back