Texas Cichlid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slomo

Reaction score
Alright I am looking for some advice. I have a 65 gallon aquarium that is 1 foot wide by four feet in length. I have an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, Green Terror, Flower Horn, and a Fire Mouth. There is a Texas Cichlid that I have been eyeing for almost three weeks, and would fit in with the community of the tank. Should I get it? Or am I being to greedy and should be happy with the fish that I have. The Green Terror is the biggest fish, and its about 3 inches.

TIA:mug:

It's been a while since fish were pets at my house, but with 4 fish and 65 gallons of water to share... there may be room for Tex if each fish has their recommended gallons per fish.

Other thing to consider is water quality. Is it super clean with a great filter? If so, you may be able to get in more fish.

Is everyone in the tank happy with each other? Cichlids are either aggressive or semi-aggressive depending on the other fish. Not sure about the others, tho.

Another thing you may or not care about: where are you buying the fish? Do they treat their fishes in an acceptable and humane manner?

How about some pics? I'd love to see your setup!

As you can see it is clean. My filter is for a 75 gallon tank. The fish store has been in business for over almost 35 years, so I think it might be a go.

mail.jpg

I would suggest against it. I have a 72 gallon also with a firemouth and green terror. I also have a turquoise severum. Used to have two but lost one I believe due to aggression from the terror. The severum is huge, but they are all pretty large... Terror is about 6 inches, firemouth about 5.

The community is aggressive, but there has not been any major fights. Which is why I am hesitant to add the Texas. Everyone has grown up with each other. The Texas that is at the store is the same size as the other fish.

Back