Texas Chhaang Jalapeno Milk Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracy Poe

Reaction score
I began experimenting with jalapeno milk wine in the early 1990s. This Texas Chhaang Jalapeno Milk Wine recipe is tried and true with the last run being in 2016. I use it in a daikon stew recipe as it is a wonderful cooking wine but most of my runs is drunk by friends and family who really enjoy it. It is very economical to produce as new bottles cost me more than the contents and just basic wine making supplies are needed.

You will need the following:

1) five gallon food grade bucket
2) a couple of gallon carboys
3) 3/8 inch ID food grade hose for racking four foot long about--1/4 inch works best when bottling but I just use the 3/8 inch for every step but my end goal is a cooking wine
4) Plastic wrap
5) Rubber bands
6) Dedicated spoon
7) Bamboo marshmallow roasting sticks
8) Clean bottles
9) Zorks is what I use for a closure
10) Cheese cloth
11) Food grinder or food possessor
12) Bowl for Jalapeno mash

The Ingredients are cheap and easy to get. The recipe is cost effective.

1) 1 gallon fat free milk (whole milk makes a lot of cheese)
2) 1 Campden Tablet (crushed)
3) 1 12 ounce can frozen lime aid concentrate
4) 3 pounds fresh Jalapeno mash
5) 7 cups of sugar
Multiply the above up to three three times before you need a larger bucket as a primary fermentation vessel.
6) 1 packet Red Star Champagne yeast

First, grind up your jalapeno into the bowl then place the cheese cloth (several layers) draped inside the bucket and wrap your jalapeno mash in it and tie it. This will prevent the mash from clogging the racking hoses when that time comes. Put in the fat free milk, lime aid concentrate, crushed campden tablet and 7 cups of sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved and let sit eight hours until room temperature. Then stir and add the Red Star Champagne yeast. Cover the bucket with plastic wrap.

Go to sleep and when you wake up the primary fermentation vessel should be active. Stir it twice daily for six days then rack it into the gallon carboys. Attach the racking hose to the clean and new bamboo marshmallow roasting stick in order to best control its position. I use this technique every time. I put rubber bands around several layers of plastic wrap and cover the tops of the carboys instead of fermentation locks. It works fine and does not break or leak.

After six weeks in the one gallon carboys, rack into new clean one gallon carboys. again I use the bamboo marshmallow stick with the hose rubber banded to the tip for the best control and cling wrap and rubber bands as fermentation locks.

After six months rack into new bottles with a 1/4 inch ID hose and a clean bamboo marsh mallow stick and rubber band. Close bottles with Zorks and age six months.

The result is a golden almost green light colored wine. The milk gives the wine body and the lime aid adds acid. The Jalapenos make it rather hot. I have researched Jalapeno wine recipes and most call for like ten jalapenos. This recipe has three pounds per gallon. That is a lot but my aim was a spicy cooking wine. Many of my friends like to drink it and I taste it often and it is really good--Hot but good.

Sounds like an interesting recipe. Kind of a cross between making wine and/or fermented hot sauce.
One thing I don't understand is the trick with the marshmallow sticks. What are you accomplishing there?

Yes, the stick controls the end of the hose. In my many years of wine making, finding a clean stick for this process was always difficult. One day I found in the grocery store the pack of bamboo marshmallow roasting sticks that are perfect for this process. They were near the charcoal bricks.

Back