Test High Grav 2.5G Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skitter

Reaction score
I did this before a little differently and it turned out amazing. This was a year ago and I have learned a ton since then so I wanted to tweak a few things about the recipe to make it even better.

First Recipe:
8lb 2 Row
.5lb Crystal 60
.5lb Carapils

.3oz Simcoe FWH
.2oz Simcoe 20 Min remaining
.2oz Motueka at Flame out

1pkg US-05

I have no idea what my OG was as I didn't have a Hydrometer then, however like I said it turned out awesome after 1 month in the fermenter and one month in the bottles.

Lately I have been learning that 1) I probably used too much Carapils, and 2) Adding a little Wheat goes a long way towards flavor and head retention.

I also wanted to try experimenting with using Candi Sugar (using a process found on this website to make it myself) so that I didn't have to worry about fitting as much grain into my 4g kettle.

Revised Recipe:
5lb 2-Row
2lb Amber Candi Sugar (This is in question)
1lb Munich
.5lb Honey malt
.5lb White Wheat Malt
4oz Carapils

.5oz Columbus (16.9%AA) FWH
.25oz Northern Brewer @ 20 Remaining
.25oz Northern Brewer @ 10 Remaining
Yeast Nutrient

US-05 Repitch from 8% Winter Ale

Question 1) How much Candi Sugar would I need to use to bump the gravity up, but not dry it out too much as I would like a Malt Forward beer without being too sweet. I was talking with my LHBS and he was suggesting possibly knocking it down to 1lb.

Question 2) Does it look like my proportions of Wheat/Honey Malt to the base are enough to make it noticeable?

Question 3) BrewTarget puts this at Balanced with the Hops/Gravity ratio, for an estimated 1.106 OG what would be a good IBU target to have a malt forward beer that isn't overly bitter? 50.6 is the lower end target for the Barleywine style, however I originally had it at 40.1 IBU

I have already bought the grain pre-milled for BIAG, however I still have not made the Candi Sugar and that will be pending any feedback I get here.

1. Candi sugar, Munich, and 2 row all have fairly similar potential PPG, so as far as gravity contribution they are essentially interchangeable. As for flavor, it depends on your intentions. I think the lhbs is probably right in backing it down to one pound, and maybe a corresponding increase in Munich and 2 row would help keep the beer more in balance.

2. Wheat won't give much flavor contribution at that level, but will help a bit with mouthfeel and foam stability. Honey malt should be present.
[edit- I read it as 5 oz at first glance of each of these- wheat will give some flavor, honey should be nicely forward)

3. This is a time when focusing on first word hopping and whirlpool additions exclusively would really help you achieve your goals. The FWH get high IBU extraction but with a (arguably) smoother flavor and less perceived bitterness. Change your 60 minute addition to FWH, assume a technical 10% increase in IBUs but understand it won't be a huge punch in the face like hops sometimes are

Back