Test Batch w/Homegrown Cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalamson5368

Reaction score
Just harvested my first couple ounces of Cascade Hops and I'm looking to do a small test batch before committing a full brew to them. Probably a 2 gallon extract or mini mash...

I'd like to do a Brown Ale or something other than an IPA, still pretty hot down here in Texas so I'll need to be at the higher end of fermentation temps.

Suggestions, Ideas, recipes all welcome. Thanks everyone!

Jack

Where in texas?

I just put my first homegrown hop beer in a keg last week. I did an APA. A used warrior for bittering. 1 ounce @ 10, 1 oz @flame out, and dry hopping 1 oz. I just put the dry hops in today also. I imagine you could do just about anything with cascade though. Maybe just bitter with a known AA hop.

I'm up in Wichita Falls, North Teaxs. Plants started to take a beating in the sun a few months back so i moved them inside where i only got morning sun. I definitely didnt get as many as i could have, but for a first time not bad. What'd you grow?

Perhaps a farmhouse ale. Generally uses high fermenting temps. Cascade would work well with its citrus notes. It's never too hot to brew. We're 35 miles east of Dallas. Where did you get your rhizomes. I'd be interested in growing but didn't know how anything would do here in the Texas heat.

Ordered them from Homebrew Heaven, real cheap and they did come out pretty well. I've heard the first year usually yields a mild harvest anyway so i'm still hopeful! I did have some trouble with caterpillars, sun and some kind of other small bugs that left these weird webs but i had a friend down here who works for a winery and was able to diagnose the problem quickly. Got a few ounces to test with!

Back