Temps for a cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limited Visibility

Reaction score
I am experiment with a recipe that i just threw together, and have been reading up on some others. My next batch that is going to be make is definitely EdWort's Apfelwein. On hos recipe page it says to ferment at 74, but in my house it is a steady 65 degrees. Is this too low or will it just take a bit longer to ferment?

That's fine. Wine yeast strains generally like to be warm- 80 is good for many of them!- but my house is 60, so I have some wine fermenting at 62. it's not really vigorous, but it's going! Most wine yeast have a big temperature tolerance, from 50s to 90s for many of them, so you're fine!
You're right- it just may take a lot longer.

You might get a bit of a lag (my cellar is at 58-62, and it'll take up to 72 hours or even more for my fermentation to start), but it'll go steady. Everything I've read suggests that lower temps are actually better for the flavor of a cider, although I have not done any experiments to confirm this. Just don't panic if it takes awhile for your yeast to go.

Back