Temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAndo

Reaction score
Hey,
What temperature do you ferment your cider at?

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Read the yeast package for optimum temperatures. However, you can ferment at lower temperatures (and higher ). But the lower the temp, the longer it will take to ferment and I think most would agree, the better the flavor. Just understand lower temps (55 to 60) can add several weeks to the process. Drop to low, and it can stall as well

I've got it sitting at 72f just now, was going to give it a couple of days at that and then move it down to about 68?

I did one in the 40s.... it has taken 3 months and still going

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Will a malolactic fermentation occur at lower temperatures, say in the upper 40's?

BigAndo, I would take it lower immediately. Depending on what yeast you are using, off-flavours from too high a temperature can happen pretty quickly.

I usually use nottingham for my ciders, and I had two separate batches that I didn't get the temps down quickly enough, and I got some really nasty band-aid flavours from both.

I've moved it to 65F, hopefully that will be ok!

BigAndo, I would take it lower immediately. Depending on what yeast you are using, off-flavours from too high a temperature can happen pretty quickly.

I usually use nottingham for my ciders, and I had two separate batches that I didn't get the temps down quickly enough, and I got some really nasty band-aid flavours from both.

+1. Fermenting with Nottingham above 68*F (fermenter temp, not ambient air) is very likely to produce some funky off-flavors.

Better to start on the low side and then raise it up once activity begins to slow.

It smells ok, so hopefully I've caught it in time!

Latest posts

Back