Temperature reached too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnp121584

Reaction score
I recently just dry hopped an IPA after 2 weeks of fermenting. I came home today to find the temperature in my apartment got up to 85. I have to assume this near destroyed my beer right? Should I just start over and count that as a loss or continue to bottle?

What are some strategies to keep the carboy or bucket cool without in an apartment without running the ac all day?

Thanks for the help.

If the beer was done fermenting, there shouldn't be any major harm.

You can put a wet towel around the carboys / buckets. Some people also use wet t-shirts over the carboy for the same effect. If you have a small fan that you can point at it you've just created a nice swamp cooler. I used this this weekend on three batches I brewed to keep the temps down below 70 while it was in the mid 80's in the garage. Just check the wrap once or twice a day to make sure its moist and your temps are where you want them. re-soak when needed.

No big deal. I sometimes ferment my wheat and porters at 80 degrees. Most of you think I am crazy but I love a strong taste of banana in my wheat beers.

Back