Temperature question with priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incongruent

Reaction score
I boil water (usually a cup or so) in the microwave to sanitize it, then stir in my priming sugar. I then pour this into the bottom of the bottling bucket and rack the beer on top before it really cools off. This is a matter of convenience. But I figured the temp variance isn't a problem as
the volume of wort is so much larger (5 gallons@70F to 1 cup@95F).

Do you guys think hot priming sugar could be a problem or do you think my laziness is inconsequential ?

I suggest the following: Boil a cup of water. Pour it in a bottling bucket. Immediately stick a thermometer in the shallow puddle of water.

I'll bet it will be just barely warm. The mass of water is so small, it will lose heat to the bucket material very quickly. I do exactly what you describe.

There’s another way to do it? I let mine cool down on the walk from my kitchen down to the basement, where I bottle.

I figure that’s more than enough time!

Thanks guys for confirming this process is okay.

The reason I asked is I'm actually trying to troubleshoot my process to figure out why all my beers have a kind of acrid / fussel taste to them....

My ABV is usually like 7.25%...

I now think it's that my recipes are steeping too much roast malt (usually 200-250g)... or maybe I shouldn't be squeezing the soggy grain bag so much and I'm squeezing out tannins into the wort.

I just got a chiller so I hope to begin pitching faster at much lower temps (usually pitch in the high 70s after an hour or so then swamp cool).

Back