Temperature problems, low efficiency: what will result?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHadack

Crafty
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was working on a beer last night that was supposed to have an original gravity of 1.054. I got distracted during the process with some emergecy work matters and was trying both work from home and brew at the same time. Compounding matters, my digital probe thermometer was busted and I didn't know it, so all my temp readings were off. Long story short, I ended up with cooled wort going into the fermenter at 1.036 original gravity.

Not sure there is much I can do about it at this point. With a 75% attenuation (WLP830 german lager yeast, final gravity of 1.009) the targeted ABV is 3.5%. I don't mind have a low alcohol session beer, but I am worried about the body, flavor, bitterness, etc. According to Beer Tools Pro the bitterness was somewhere around 29.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I am looking at for an end result? Will it be halfway enjoyable? Anything I can do to fix it?

If you can get your hands on some LME/DME, you can at least get the OG back where it should be. Not sure what your IBUs were supposed to be so if they are low as well then raising the OG may not be the best idea.

I vote DME too; aside from adding sugars to the beer to up the OG, I'm not sure really what you can do other than start over, or ferment it out and try it.

Back