Temperature for storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deafmeadmaker

Deafmeadmaker
Reaction score
My AC crapped out two days ago, simply ran out of Freon. It will have to wait until my next paycheck to be fixed. With the temps in Texas reaching near 100, how safe is my mead? Everything is between 5 and 8 months old. Corked and labelled in wine bottles on my rack. So far it's only gotten to the low 90's in the house. Do I need to move them to a buddy's house? At last count there were nearly 100 bottles of various flavors. Should I be worried? They're in a dark corner and I don't want any bottle bombs.
Suggestions? Advice?

Do you have a cooler you could throw the bottles into with some ice as a temporary fix?

Do you have a cooler you could throw the bottles into with some ice as a temporary fix?

Yes, but... I used the cooler and several crates to transport the bottles to a friends house after explaining I took inventory and I know exactly how many bottles there are! If any turned up missing I threatened to ban him from future tastings.
About two years back I was bottling my first JOAM on my back porch. When the sunlight hit the carboy, the must began to bubble as if it was starting to boil. Well, I racked and got it some place cooler in a hurry. I'm not one to repeat the experience.

Back