Temperature difference from HLT to Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frothy3001

Reaction score
Hi all, ive finished my first single tier system. I have finished 2 brews in the system, the first turned out well, a dark ale. The second one i just finished last night. Same thing it ran very well.

Both times ive noticed that there is a 4 degree temp difference from the HLT to the MASH. and when i bring the temp up on the HLT later in the process to the 60 degree and above area i notice the temp gap increases from 6 to 8 degrees. I have one pump circulating the mash thru the SS coil. How do i close the gap between the two tanks. Last night i tryed slowing down the flow from the pump which helped a bit. Do i need to stir the HLT? would Recirculating the hlt back into itself do the trick? Should i stir the mash. Im trying to learn as much as i can, any help or links to info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

WP_20130706_006.jpg

been doing some reading on the abundance of info on this site. Realizing why people have 2 pumps on their systems. Looks like circulating the HLT is my problem. Am i right about that? I cant believe it makes that much difference, but what ive read is that its a major factor. Hmm. Time to by another pump i guess. I will say this, after 2 brew sessions on this system, i cant recommend HERMS systems enough. Thanks to HBT ive been able to brew easily, and almost any issues or questions i seem to be able to find answers here.

Latest posts

Back