temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpeebs

Reaction score
I've been doing some research and i'm still really confused how some of these temperature controllers work. What I want to do is use an old fridge as a fermentation chamber and keep it at a steady temperature. I've checked out the Elitech STC-1000, the Johnson Controls digital thermostat control unit, and a couple Ranco ones. Basically my question is do I need to add a heating or a cooling unit to the fridge for the temp controller to function right? I would think, in the summer anyway, you wouldn't need a heating unit, just a cooling one. Does the fridge do the work for cooling? Sorry if these are dumb questions. Budget says that I have to do it right the first time.

jpeebs said:
I've been doing some research and i'm still really confused how some of these temperature controllers work. What I want to do is use an old fridge as a fermentation chamber and keep it at a steady temperature. I've checked out the Elitech STC-1000, the Johnson Controls digital thermostat control unit, and a couple Ranco ones. Basically my question is do I need to add a heating or a cooling unit to the fridge for the temp controller to function right? I would think, in the summer anyway, you wouldn't need a heating unit, just a cooling one. Does the fridge do the work for cooling? Sorry if these are dumb questions. Budget says that I have to do it right the first time.

The fridge will do the cooling with a controller. If you need to get it warmer you will need a heat source. I use a ferm wrap in mine to heat when needed. You need a controller that will control heat. The Johnson control will do both but not all will do cooling and heating.

jpeebs said:

It's a small world. I'm in Fort Wayne. I remember you too. I played guitar for kantis. Cheers

The external temp controller plugs into the wall, the fridge plugs into the controller- set your temp and the controller will hold it for you. As for heat you may need something in the winter. Some people use an incandescent light bulb installed in a coffee can. Look around hbt and you will find every instruction Manual you could ever need.

The fridge will do the cooling with a controller. If you need to get it warmer you will need a heat source. I use a ferm wrap in mine to heat when needed. You need a controller that will control heat. The Johnson control will do both but not all will do cooling and heating.

Do you just plug the ferm wrap into the controller?

jpeebs said:
Do you just plug the ferm wrap into the controller?

Yes. It wasn't as cheap as the light bulb and other ideas but it works well for me. I don't wrap it around the carboy. I just set in side to warm the inside of my chest freezer

image-1096897066.jpg

The STC-1000 is a true dual temperature controller (you need not manually switch it back and forth for cool/heat) and very inexpensive ($19 on Amazon). I have three and just last evening helped a brewing buddy/co-worker put together a controller outlet box for his mini fridge using one.

You wire it into a standard 2-plug outlet that you mount in some kind of project box (either homemade or bought at Radio Shack). One (cool) outlet is for the freezer/fridge. Into the other (warm) outlet, you plug some kind of small heater and then put that heater inside the freezer during the colder months if you have your unit where it gets cold.

Set the target temp (in Celsius) on the STC-1000. Set the tolerance (default is +/-0.5*C). When the temp (as read by the sensor) climbs 0.5*C above the target, it powers up the cool outlet and keeps it energized until the temp drops to the target and then turns it off. Likewise with the warm outlet if it gets 0.5*C too cool. You tape the sensor on the side of the fermenter and place some kind of insulation like bubble wrap over top of it so that it reads the bucket temp and not the air.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I just started in this hobby and decided I didn't want to monkey around with trying to keep my fermentation temp steady, so after researching, the STC-1000 was a no brainer for me. I have my first batch in the chamber now and couldn't be happier with the performance using the method Big Floyd described. A fun project and auto temp control keeps me sane. set it and forget it, pretty much.

Then it's settled. Find a fridge and convert it. Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated. rjbank, come out and see us Sunday on Calhoun Street. All ages, free show. I think we play at 5 or 6.

I want to do this really bad but I've never attempted any type of electrical work. I don't know anybody who has experience either.

I want to do this really bad but I've never attempted any type of electrical work. I don't know anybody who has experience either.

It's really quite straight forward. Watch one of the video's on youtube for the wiring a few times, get a feel for what is required to gain knowledge and confidence, and then use the video when you're assembling and wiring to confirm you have it nailed down. You can even take pics of your wiring and have someone on here sign-off on it to ease your mind prior to plugging it in.

Love what everyone has done with controllers, but I have yet to see anyone replace the built in temp controller (dial) with one of these units. It would seem to be the best choice, but (not being an electricial) unsure if it is possible or practical. I know I hate thinking of wasted (bypassed) hardware with its fuctions rendered useless. Is there a better way?

Why is it the best way? More work and you remove the functionality of the original unit. Take a wine bottle fridge. You covert it , brew a beer and for whatever reason you immediately move up to a 28 cu ft freezer. Or maybe you're free cycle chest freezer dies a month later. Lot of wasted effort for no material gain pulling the wiring of the thermostat in the unit. Or my reality. I'm currently using an old commercial home keg cooler as my fermentation chamber. I have a fridge that is going to either become my server or my new fermentation chamber or a lagering chamber. I didn't limit my choices by hard wiring anything

Now if a guy wanted to mess with keeping the defrost timer working on something, wiring the compressor wires through the new controller might be the way to go.

Love what everyone has done with controllers, but I have yet to see anyone replace the built in temp controller (dial) with one of these units. It would seem to be the best choice, but (not being an electricial) unsure if it is possible or practical. I know I hate thinking of wasted (bypassed) hardware with its fuctions rendered useless. Is there a better way?

A better way to do what?

For my 3-keg keezer, I've got the power cord hard-wired into an STC-1000 that's mounted along the back edge of the lid and it's a good set up. The only modification to the freezer was cutting of the plug.

For my fermentation and cold crash/lagering chambers, however, I like the simplicity of building the controller outlet box, turning the freezer/fridge thermostat as low as it will go, plugging the unit into the outlet and letting the STC-1000 control the temp by turning the power on and off. If I ever want to use those chambers for something else, all I have to do it unplug them.

I have my temp controller on a deep freezer.

Its great for a few reasons.

Less power, only kicks on for a short time.
I can cold crash to right around freezing.
On Brew day, I can freeze gallong pitchers of water to drop in the wort and cool to pitching temps in jujst minutes (assuming a partial boil).

Are you talking about something along these lines?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gu...liminate-external-control-249612/#post2982236

Doesn't work perfectly on all fridge/freezers and most likely voids your warranty.

Nice to see others suggesting my vid. :mug: (Which obviously shows which suggestion I would make for your temperature control options).

Back