Temperature control in a cool basement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torontosudz

Reaction score
My basement is generally pretty cool in the summer (between 60-68F) and in winter about 5-10 degrees cooler. I live in a 100 year old house in Toronto if that helps guesstimate what the basement is like (probably similar to Chicago / Detroit in terms of home construction and weather).

So I'm in a spot where sometimes my fermenting brew needs to be cooled a bit while other times it needs to be a bit warmer. I'd like a solution that takes up as little space as possible. Would setting a small fridge to say 50-55F and then having a heating pad or belt with a temperature gauge set to my fermentation temp work well?

It might not be energy efficient which, frankly, I don't care but if there's a better way or people with similar situations and other solutions I'd like to hear them

For heating I would build a simple insulated box, or use a refrigerator. The refrigerator can then be used for cooling also. Add heat with the type of ceramic heaters used for reptile enclosures. A light bulb in a can can also be used for heat. Purchase a Johnson A-419, or build a STC-1000, for controlling the temperature.
For cooling a simple swamp cooler may be sufficient if the refrigerator is not possible.

My basement is in the upper 50's in the winter and low 60's in summer. When I am brewing ales, I simply set my fermenter out in the basement. I chill to 58-60. Pitch yeast. Basement temperature is about 60-62 right now. Fermentation causes temps of fermenter to gradually rise over 4-5 days - generally up to about 66-68 degrees..... which is actually what I want it to do anyway. At the point I notice the beer starting to slow down and see the temps level off and just start to fall a bit, I take my fermenter upstairs where the temperature is 68-70. This allows the fermentation temperature to hold as it finishes up from day 5-10 or so.
May need to warm in winter though - unless brewing lagers. I generally put my fermenter upstairs in the winter (we keep our house cold ..... 60 degrees.... in the winter). I really only use my chamber for lagers for the most part.
So, you may not even need a particular chamber in your situation. Setting a fridge at 55 and then having a heating pad battle the 55 degree fridge so you can get your beer to the temperature that your basement is already at seems like a fight you don't need to fight.

If your basement is always cool like mine you can do the Christmas light method.
I just put my fermenter in a cardboard box with a string of the small lights. I simply pull out enough lights to keep the temp right.

If your basement is always cool like mine you can do the Christmas light method.
I just put my fermenter in a cardboard box with a string of the small lights. I simply pull out enough lights to keep the temp right.

I'm in Toronto and have the same sort of construction as you, likely. Roughly eighty year old house or more. With my one gallon batch so have used the Christmas light method in the winter to warm up my ciders a little and bring my bottle conditioning temps up. I also considers a tub of water with an aquarium heater

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I live in montreal and am surprised how cool your place is in the summer. I live in a 100year old house and it is still to hot to brew in the summer here.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just put my carboy in a big bucket of water and check the temp two or three times a day. Add either ice or warm water as needed.

My basement is generally pretty cool in the summer (between 60-68F) and in winter about 5-10 degrees cooler. I live in a 100 year old house in Toronto if that helps guesstimate what the basement is like (probably similar to Chicago / Detroit in terms of home construction and weather).

So I'm in a spot where sometimes my fermenting brew needs to be cooled a bit while other times it needs to be a bit warmer. I'd like a solution that takes up as little space as possible. Would setting a small fridge to say 50-55F and then having a heating pad or belt with a temperature gauge set to my fermentation temp work well?

It might not be energy efficient which, frankly, I don't care but if there's a better way or people with similar situations and other solutions I'd like to hear them

My basement is in the upper 50's in the winter and low 60's in summer. When I am brewing ales, I simply set my fermenter out in the basement. I chill to 58-60. Pitch yeast. Basement temperature is about 60-62 right now. Fermentation causes temps of fermenter to gradually rise over 4-5 days - generally up to about 66-68 degrees..... which is actually what I want it to do anyway. At the point I notice the beer starting to slow down and see the temps level off and just start to fall a bit, I take my fermenter upstairs where the temperature is 68-70. This allows the fermentation temperature to hold as it finishes up from day 5-10 or so.
May need to warm in winter though - unless brewing lagers. I generally put my fermenter upstairs in the winter (we keep our house cold ..... 60 degrees.... in the winter). I really only use my chamber for lagers for the most part.
So, you may not even need a particular chamber in your situation. Setting a fridge at 55 and then having a heating pad battle the 55 degree fridge so you can get your beer to the temperature that your basement is already at seems like a fight you don't need to fight.

Braufesseor, what temps do you bottle condition at in the winter? I keep my house around 60 degrees also.

I live at a similar latitude with a basement at similar temps. My basement also opens to an unheated garage so I have 3 temperature zones(garage, basement, and basement next to furnace). In the late spring through early fall I use a swamp cooler, sometimes with ice bottles. From late fall through early spring I use a cardboard box that I've insulated with Styrofoam blocks. Sometimes I add a heating pad. I check the beer temp at least twice daily and adjust as needed. Low tech, higher labor, but it works for me. This year I did 5 batches in April and May and am now taking the summer off.

Braufesseor, what temps do you bottle condition at in the winter? I keep my house around 60 degrees also.

About 35 degrees...... Kegs my friend:mug:

I do bottle condition some ocassional beers (bourbon barrel porter, sour, big beers)..... I put them upstairs in my south facing living room - which is probably 68-70 generally. Once they carbonate, I move them back down to my brewroom in the basement.

About 35 degrees...... Kegs my friend:mug:

I do bottle condition some ocassional beers (bourbon barrel porter, sour, big beers)..... I put them upstairs in my south facing living room - which is probably 68-70 generally. Once they carbonate, I move them back down to my brewroom in the basement.
Oh, OK, kegs; my bad.
I'm gonna brew this winter, just trying to figure out how to warm up my bottle conditioning.
Thanks for the reply.:mug:

Look at www.beanfarm.com in the temperature section. You can order FlexWatt by the foot and run it with an STC-1000. Just build an enclosure out of 1-2" rigid foam and line it with the FlexWatt (or partially line it). When you need to heat, drop the enclosure over your fermenter, plug it into the STC, set the temp and you're done.

Back