Temperature control - have I ruined my batch at 32°C?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
It's a bit cold at this time of year being the middle of winter so I'm trying to keep my bottled beer warm to condition. I have 2 crates, each containing 12 bottles, most of which are 750mL or so.

1 of the crates is on a 30W heat pad (the green one in the pic, I removed that crate to show it) and the temperature got way out of control. I used a temperature gun to check and they were at 32°C! They were fluctuating crazily between 16-32°C for a few days as I tried different things like putting magazines between the heat pad and crate to create some distance.

The ambient temperature of the room is around 12-15°C. I can't keep a spare fridge here so I need a better solution to keep the temperatures in check. We use 230V electricity here in NZ BTW in case someone recommends another solution.

It's a low gravity IPA around 3.2 % ABV. Have these temperatures ruined the beer?

Attachments

• IMG_20190719_160728.jpg
    IMG_20190719_160728.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 21
It's a bit cold at this time of year being the middle of winter so I'm trying to keep my bottled beer warm to condition. I have 2 crates, each containing 12 bottles, most of which are 750mL or so.

1 of the crates is on a 30W heat pad (the green one in the pic, I removed that crate to show it) and the temperature got way out of control. I used a temperature gun to check and they were at 32°C! They were fluctuating crazily between 16-32°C for a few days as I tried different things like putting magazines between the heat pad and crate to create some distance.

The ambient temperature of the room is around 12-15°C. I can't keep a spare fridge here so I need a better solution to keep the temperatures in check. We use 230V electricity here in NZ BTW in case someone recommends another solution.

It's a low gravity IPA around 3.2 % ABV. Have these temperatures ruined the beer?
No, brew on.

Back