Temperature and Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubster

Reaction score
Hi- new brewer here. Trying to brew a Belgian Tripel. I used a kit with whole grain and a Wyeast activator. It started all right, but by second day I noticed rotten egg smell- sulphur. I read somewhere this is a problem with too warm temperature for lagers, but this is supposedly an ale.
What is too warm for a Belgian tripel? My house stays between 68-73 degrees. How can I save this ale? I sure hope to make a tasty Belgian Tripel, but don't want to wait for months if its going to end up weird tasting. Thanks

I just had the same concern this week. My worries were eased when homebrewer99 told me it would dissipate. I read elsewhere that it can happen with certain strains of yeast and grains. The wheat I'm brewing (and the closet the carboy's located in) no longer has tha rotten stench. I would expect yours to go away too. I'm fermenting a about 70 deg. Good luck--Belgian Tripel sounds great.

You are smelling Dimethyl Sulfide. It is produced during the boil from compounds in the wort breaking down. If you boil your wort with an open pot, most of this just escapes and goes away. If you uput a lid on the pot, you can trap some of it in.

It should be noted that for light lagers some amount of Dimethyl Sulfide is actually desired in the final product and is considered to be a key part of their flavor signature.

Don't worry about it. It's all part of the natural process and shouldn't hurt anything, but think about the open vs closed boil pot comment.

-walker

A lid on half-way is supposed to be OK...you just don't want the condensation dripping back into the wort.

I agree with Pistolero about the half-on lid. It should be ok, but I have always felt it better off to use no lid at all. In fact, I don't even know where the lid for my boil pot is. I only used it to rest my spoons and other gear on during the boil, and lost track of it a few years ago.

-walker

Hmm... I've done all 3 of mine with the lid on.

Should I not use a lid at all from now on?

Do you like the beer you have brewed?

If "YES", keep doing it the way you have been.

If "NO", try to experiment.

The only thing that matters with homebrew is whether YOU like it or not.

-walker

Eskram said:
Hmm... I've done all 3 of mine with the lid on.

Should I not use a lid at all from now on?
If you're leaving the lid on because you have to in order to maintain a rolling boil, then you'll be much happier moving outside to a propane cooker. I left my lid on the first time because I didn't know any better, and that was the only way I could get a boil going on my stove. This time I moved outside on to propane...it just goes so much faster, and it's a lot easier to watch for the boil over without the lid in the way. :cool:

I actually just got my turkey fryer back from my dad's house finally, so I'll use the burner next time, no lid. :) I think I'll miss my house smelling liek a brewery though... :sniff: Should I open a can of worms and ask if I should use the aluminum pot to brew? Or jsut stick to my 16qt stainless for now?

So far, the beer I've brewed has been pretty good, but I'm not against experimenting for the cause of better beer. I've really only bottled/tried one of my batches so far - the other two are still in their carboys, so I don't know how they taste yet.

Eskram said:
Should I open a can of worms and ask if I should use the aluminum pot to brew? Or jsut stick to my 16qt stainless for now?
I would stick with the SS...either that or use the aluminum. ;)

Thanks guys- the beer seems fine. Looking forward to a tasty brew in a few months..!

Back