Temp???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstark

Reaction score
Hi all, first post here. I have a whole three batches under my belt and haven't had the pleasure of drinking one beer, (of mine). 1 bottled, 1 in secondary and 1 in primary. I was just wondering how important temp is once it's in the secondary and bottled?
Thanks, Dan

Storage temperature is as important as fermentation temperature. Store it too warm and it has the potential to go bad faster. If you can keep the beer below 70 degrees you will be fine.

I actually like to keep my beer at room temperature from the time it's in secondary (to make sure it finishes fully), and for the first few weeks after it's bottled. Because it ages faster at room temperature, my feeling is that it will mature and be ready to drink a little faster. Once it hits it's sweet spot, I'll move them to a cooler spot for storage if there's a significant amount left - but more often I drink them long before I'd have to worry about any of that.

I would not want it to go above 85F to 90F, but I have never had a problem with conditioning beer at room temperatures. Just make certain fermantation is done before.

Thanks for the replies, I am just preplanning for the summer time. I wanted to do a barleywine and was worried about summer storage, my house is the airconditioner defieciant type.

Latest posts

Back