Temp too low for yeast pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGreen

Reaction score
In an effort to defeat the demons of the hot wort of my past I gave my pot a cold bath and fridged the water for the primary. Now it is about 58 degrees. Is this too low to pitch or is there really no such thing?

If you are making a lager, 58 isn't too chilly; for an ale, it is. If you are making an ale, let it warm up at least 10 degrees before pitching.

It is a little low. If you ever wonder how low of a temp can yeast handle, goto the manufacturer's website. They will give you all the info on your little yeasties. I just looked on Wyeast website and here is an excerpt right from it.

YEAST STRAIN: 3068 | Weihenstephan Weizen™

Back to Yeast Strain List

The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.

Origin:
Flocculation: low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 64-75° F (18-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

Styles:
Dunkelweizen
Fruit Beer
German Hefe-Weizen
Roggenbier (German Rye Beer)
Weizen/Weissbier
Weizenbock

you could pitch it now, but start warming it up. If you do pitch it early, don't expect any immediate bubbling in the airlock. It will be slower and take longer.

In my opinion, it's better to pitch low, actually. Pitch low, and allow the temperature to rise to the optimum fermentation temperature. That's what I always do, and it works very well!

I cool my lagers down to 43, pitch, then slowly raise to 48-50. So I agree with what Yooper said.

Back