Temp to high for yeast propagation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nimboden

Reaction score
Hello all, I was recently given a stir/hot plate and thought I would try it out. I turned the heat option all the way to 0 knowing that I wouldn't need it with my brew room always around 70ish. Got my starter going yesterday and this morning when I went to check on it the flask was very warm to the touch and after a temp reading found out it was 89! I immediately switched it to my other non-heated stir plate. Is this period of high temps detrimental to the health of my yeast?

I would think that the yeast would love that temperature. As long as it didn't go quite a bit higher at any point it should be good. I would be leery of the heated stirplate until you are sure you can control it's temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeast were probably happy, happy, happy. I bet the beer on top of them isn't very delicious, though.

Issue could be that yeast reproduced so fast they didn't grow strong cell walls. Probably be fine, but I'd make sure the wort is very well oxygenated to help that in the beer.

Hey all thought I'd update with the finished product. It was a brown porter using WLP076 (Old Sonoma Ale) and it turned out great. Yeast seemed happy all along fermentation and finished product is tasty.
Thanks again!

No not at all, it fermented out pretty quick if i recall. Brewed on 9/1/13 and was ready in keg 9/21/13.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back