temp probe (for stc1000) to mini XLR question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slightlyoffbeat

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I ordered these and these to create quick disconnects for my temperature probe for my stc1000 build.

I have two questions.

Do I have any options besides soldering for connecting the wires? I've been meaning to learn, so perhaps this is the best time to start.

In everything I've read, I can't seem to figure out which wire goes to which pin. There are 3 wires and 2 pins.

If anyone has any info, or guides they could pass along, it would be much appreciated. I've researched this a lot, but I've hit a bit of a wall.

Thanks!
Dan

The temperature probes used for the STC-1000 (and MH1210 and WillHi 7016) are all NTC-10K thermistors.
These are two-wire elements and have no polarity.
You can wire your plugs and sockets anyway you wish.

As for connecting the plugs and sockets, while conceivably you could crimp the former, the latter are definitely solder-tails.
You'll see what I'm saying when they arrive.
Rough mental count says I have almost three dozen 3-pin mini-XLR pairs in service, both genders always soldered.
They're not that hard to do with a very fine tip iron...

Cheers!

thanks! That's just the info I needed.

I watched a few youtube videos and I'm on my way to Frys to pick up some soldering equipment. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Hopefully you already have this built, but if not be careful to not overheat those connectors. I have used the cheap regular xlr connectors a few times, and have found that the plastic filler around the pins has a habit of going soft about the same time that the pin is hot enough to solder to. Hopefully the mini version doesn't have that issue.

I've used a lot of cheap mini-XLR connectors and IMHO the solder pretty easy. Been using DIN connectors aswell, which are a total PITA. Those suckers melt before you've even applied the soldering iron and the pins get all crooked. They are also really difficult to get to 'hold on' to the wire while soldering, which makes matters even worse. You really need three hands or a jig or something (I use a 'helping hand' soldering thingy, which totally sucks, but is better than nothing).
In short, mini-XLR, really nice. Avoid DIN if you can.

alphaomega,

DIN connectors aren't that bad (as long as the pins aren't potted in place - if they are, then I agree). I just use a pin extractor (link below) to pull the pin out of the connector, solder to the now bare pin, and then put the pin back into the connector. Unless I'm missing something here, (unpotted) DINs don't have to be feared.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/91067-2/A1010-ND/15557

With all the db37s in my keezer I shudder to imagine pulling, soldering and inserting all those contacts :eek: I'd invest in the proper crimper, buy the crimp version housings and contacts, pour a pitcher of beer and just go nuts :D

In any case, the ~3 dozen mini-xlrs and handful of "aircraft" connectors I've used don't have removable pins, so in the end a solid soldering technique is inevitably necessary.

Anyway, whether db37, mini-xlr, "aircraft" connectors, whatever, my routine is the same:

stripped, twisted, tinned and trimmed wire ends, tinned contacts, quick reflow, done. And I do use a "third-hand"; it'd all be a lot more difficult without one...

Cheers!

alphaomega,

DIN connectors aren't that bad (as long as the pins aren't potted in place - if they are, then I agree). I just use a pin extractor (link below) to pull the pin out of the connector, solder to the now bare pin, and then put the pin back into the connector. Unless I'm missing something here, (unpotted) DINs don't have to be feared.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/91067-2/A1010-ND/15557

I don't really know what you mean by potted here. The ones I use (the cheapest I can find on eBay) are not filled, but the pins are moulded in the plastic, and the plastic melts long before the solder...
I'm gonna give it a try to remove the pins next time I need one. Another trick I read about, was to push the pins into a potato, to at least keep them somewhat straight.

Good point about the crimped version - I forgot about those! The several dozen pins that I've done over the years I've soldered. If I needed to do as many as you've done, crimping would be the way to go!

I wish I had taken more photos, but my finished project:

http://imgur.com/lfUaz6Y

This was my first time soldering. I practiced on a few wires and then dove in. I made some mistakes, that resulted me in having to re-heat and re-solder more than once :/.

With that said, they held up pretty well. everything seems pretty solid and the temp probes work great. I followed pretty much the process day trippr layed out. If I didn't have my helping hands though, I'm not sure I would have been able to do it.

Not bad for a 10 dollar soldering iron, 3 bucks of solder and a few youtube videos.

Since there is no point in creating, yet another, STC1000 build thread, here's the back.

http://imgur.com/32lhC0K

I don't think I would have tackled this project without the help, photos and inspiration from others here, so thanks again.

Dan

Back