Temp - First 24-48 Hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterShah

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I started brewing a belgian style ale on Friday (my first beer). I am using Safale S-04 yeast and I pitched at about 75 d F. About 2 hours in I was having a lot of airlock activity, ambient air was about 73 d F. I didn't have a strip thermometer so the next day I went out and picked one up and slapped it on my primary (bucket). My ale was fermenting at about 79 d F according to the strip thermo approximately 20 hours into fermentation. I immediately put the fermenter into a bucket of water with a couple of ice packs. The fermenter temp dropped to about 71 d F after a couple of hours. By the next morning (32 hours in) the temp had stabilized to about 66 d F and has remained there since, however shortly after dropping the temp my airlock activity had decreased significantly (started from a bubble every 1.5-2 secs, down to a bubble every 30 secs).

A couple of questions:

1. What are the chances of fusel, bubble gum, fruit flavors fermenting too warm in first 24?

2. I know airlock activity doesn't indicate active fermentation, but could the decrease in temp have stalled my yeasties? Re-pitch?

3. If I get some off flavors, are those usually cleared up by leaving in primary another week (making 3 weeks), or should I move to secondary after only 2 weeks?

Any help, suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated. :D

First off just relax. It is your first beer and you picked Belgian which handle high temps anyway. after that

1. It'll be fine
2.it may have slowed it a bit, but I am sure it is otherwise fine.
3. I would leave it to primary that long anyway. The only beers I don't leave on primary that long are APAs and Hefes.

Let it be. The yeast will adjust by themselves. Once though,I did have to gently swirl the FV to stir some yeast up. But this early on they should adjust by themselves.

Thanks guys, that helps a bit. You are right. I think I will not worry, relax and have a homebrew. :D

hoppymonkey: You usually leave in primary 3 weeks? How long do you leave in secondary usually?

Thanks guys, that helps a bit. You are right. I think I will not worry, relax and have a homebrew. :D

hoppymonkey: You usually leave in primary 3 weeks? How long do you leave in secondary usually?

I don't secondary at all unless it is a big beer that I plan on aging for a while. You will find plenty of threads on here for why it is a good idea to primary longer. I consider 3 weeks the minumum is most case.

The only time I secondaried a beer was when I oaked my Whiskely ale. Otherwise,about 2.5-3 weeks to get a stable FG. Then 3-5 days to clean up & settle out more. So it works out to about 3 weeks,give or take a couple of days.

I'd go 4 weeks primary with that one, then straight to bottle. I think just about everyone (or so it seems) ferments their first brew too hot, present company included. It'll make good beer, and for it being Belgian, may even be true to style.

Next time spend the time to get it down to the lower end of fermentation before pitching. Keep it on the lower end for the first few days. If some esters are desired (like belgians), raise it higher from the 3rd day until activity ends. Just less undesireables for the yeasties to clean up this way.

This place is awesome. Thanks so much guys. Great advice. How long do you typically let your bottles condition for?

This place is awesome. Thanks so much guys. Great advice. How long do you typically let your bottles condition for?

The minimum is probably 4-8 days depending on what sugar you use to carbonate (corn vs. cane vs. other), but I've been living by the rule of 3 weeks in the bottle at room temp (70s) for conditioning purposes.

Or, rather, I will be, once I bottle my first batch next weekend. :)

I think just about everyone (or so it seems) ferments their first brew too hot, present company included. It'll make good beer, and for it being Belgian, may even be true to style.

Next time spend the time to get it down to the lower end of fermentation before pitching. Keep it on the lower end for the first few days. If some esters are desired (like belgians), raise it higher from the 3rd day until activity ends. Just less undesireables for the yeasties to clean up this way.

Well, fermenting too hot will cause some fruity flavors and possibly some solventy flavors but it will be drinkable.

The thing is, S04 is an English yeast and not a Belgian yeast. That's fine, but it won't be a Belgian beer style!

Back