Temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

integratorjon

Reaction score
Brewing first lager and realized my fridge will only get as high as 48. Was looking at a temp controller from Johnson. Any feedback? Anyone actually used one? Will it still ferment at 48?

Google man, Google! A ton of us use Johnson controls, usually the A419 digital. You plug the fridge in to the controller, set the temp you want, and it kicks the fridge on when temps rise above the preset. You would actually set the fridge to a lower setting. This is why chest freezers work as highly efficient refrigeration when paired with temp control. There are lots of other brands/ setups that you can buy or build.

When you run the fridge/freezer through a controller, set it at the lowest possible setting and let the controller handle the temp (which it does by simply turning the power on and off as needed).

I use one and it keeps my wort within a degree of the setting. If the yeast is up to 48F it would work.

I have a Johnson and a Control Products, both digital. I can recommend either one. There are plenty of other, but they are all pretty effective for this application.

Latest posts

Back