temp control during steep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwfripp

Reaction score
I'm a new brewer, 3 beers in, and recently just bought a bayou classic burner because my electric stove wasn't cutting it. I brewed my first batch on it but had a hard time controling the temp while steeping grains. I started at 160 but it quickly went to 180. I turned the burner don but it stayed at that temp. Any ideas on how to better control the temp? Maybe turn the burner off or take it off and monitor it? Thanks for the help

I would first try turning the burner down as your coming up to 160 and keep it real low almost off. And if that doesn't work. Turn the burner off and just keep the lid on and watch the temperature if it starts to get low turn the burner on but not full blast.

Heat to your temp and turn the burner off. Steeping grains are not in that long, and the temps don't matter as much as doing a mash.

Heat to your temp and turn the burner off. Steeping grains are not in that long, and the temps don't matter as much as doing a mash.

+1 on this. No reason to have the burner on while steeping.

Turn it OFF! :tank:

I defer to the above ^^^^ opinions.

The thing with steeping crystal malts and such is that you're just getting some color and some of the 'already converted' sugar and flavor from them. The temperature can vary from 160 into the 140s and you'll get the same result. If you're worried about the temperature dipping more than that then wrap some towels around and on top of your kettle.

Thanks all. sounds like pretty common sense stuff just wanted to double check

Steeping can be just fine anywhere from perhaps 100F at the low end to boiling. It's a bit like making tea which can be done pretty cool or at high temps. I'd suggest that you try to keep the temperature at about 155, not because it is needed for steeping but is good practice if you should go to all grain brewing because the enzymes that convert the starches present in malted grains work together at about that temperature. If you can consistently begin steeping your grains at 155, you are probably ready to delve into the fun that is all grain brewing.

Back