Tell us about your brewing and beer-related injuries!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluxcapacitor

Reaction score
I recently built a new brew tower for my all-grain setup, mostly out of a need for a safer brew day. I was tired of climbing a shaky step ladder to lift my Igloo cooler full of 180 degree sparge water to a shaky shelf about 2 feet above my head. Luckily I managed to brew about 10 batches using this method without dumping it and giving myself a scald shower.

At the outset, I thought lifting the scalding hot sparge water to an eight-foot shelf tenuously anchored to drywall would be the most dangerous part of my brew day. Turns out, it was the innocuous plastic quick disconnects and rubber tubing I was using for the sparge water and hot wort transfer that was the weak link on my brewing safety chain. I neglected to consider how flimsy and flexible rubber tubing becomes when 150+ degree water is flowing through. When I went to adjust the flow rate valve on the sparge water, the tubing popped out of the quick disconnect on the cooler and sparge water began flowing out at an alarming rate onto the garage floor. Being the quick-thinking problem solver I am, I grabbed the rubber tubing and proceeded to insert it back into the disconnect, which proved to be quite difficult with the sparge water still pouring out. After fooling around with it for about 30-45 seconds, I had the tubing back in and was moderately victorious in managing to save about half my sparge water. After the panic of the situation subsided, I noticed quite a bit of pain radiating from my arms. Discovered I had mildly burned about 75% of my right forearm and both of my hands. Overall, it could have been much worse, but I learned a painful lesson and have since replaced all rubber tubing with 1/2" pvc.

So, in the interest of sharing best brewing safety practices, please tell us about your brewing injuries! Pictures would be great. Brewing tends to involve a lot of hot water and glass, and flesh and blood don't generally make good ingredients in a brew. Let us know what wen't wrong (or almost went wrong) with your brewing process so we can all avoid the same mistakes!

well i now dont brew shirtless because of this but while cooling my wort i managed to splash alittle hot wort on my nipple area. hurt like hell but the beer turned out good.

In my first batch ever I put a good 3.8 gallons in a 4 gallon pot, not fully understanding what a boil over was. When the hot break erupted I thought quickly and decided to grab the pot of boiling water to move it offer the burner.

I have no serious burns, but my hands turned a nice red and all of the hair was burned off.

My friends got a good kick out of it though.

I wasn't actually brewing yet. I was making candi sugar. The temp was about 300 and I was pouring it onto a cookie sheet when a little bit of it dripped onto the counter and was about to hit the hardwood floor. Without thinking, I wiped it up with my finger. That friggen hurt. It burned my skin off. Lesson learned!

well i now dont brew shirtless because of this but while cooling my wort i managed to splash alittle hot wort on my nipple area. hurt like hell but the beer turned out good.

Good to see you have your priorities straight:mug:

I spilled some 175-ish degree sparge water on my foot once, resulting in a nice loud "holyfvcking****mutherfvcker!!!!!!", and kicking my shoe halfway across the garage. lucky i was wearing shoes. wound up with a nice little painful blister on my foot for a few days, but it could have been a lot worse.

I now have a rule of "no drinking before the hot break".:drunk:

Oh, and the beer turned out good:D

My brother drinks lots of guiness draft and saves the bottles for me. I cut my finger when the knife i used to cut off the labels slipped.

I bottled my first batch with double the amount of priming sugar and had a bottle explode in my hand.

Turned of the water to fast to my wort chiller and had the hot water hose come out of the sink and burn my foot.

Good to see you have your priorities straight:mug:

I spilled some 175-ish degree sparge water on my foot once, resulting in a nice loud "holyfvcking****mutherfvcker!!!!!!", and kicking my shoe halfway across the garage. lucky i was wearing shoes. wound up with a nice little painful blister on my foot for a few days, but it could have been a lot worse.

I now have a rule of "no drinking before the hot break".:drunk:

Oh, and the beer turned out good:D

yeah i had kind of a larger deformed third nipple for a while and there was alot of foul words being said

On the same brew day, I burned both hands picking up a pot of sparge water (blisters on one hand and just redness on the other). Later, as I was pouring out the sanitizer in my brand new carboy, it slipped from my hands, and exploded at my feet cutting a nice sized gash in my foot.

I did manage to complete the brew and the beer turned out quite nice.

On the same brew day, I burned both hands picking up a pot of sparge water (blisters on one hand and just redness on the other). Later, as I was pouring out the sanitizer in my brand new carboy, it slipped from my hands, and exploded at my feet cutting a nice sized gash in my foot.

I did manage to complete the brew and the beer turned out quite nice.

Well, at least if you cut yourself in a puddle of sanitizer, you can't really get infected... Glad to hear the beer came out, though, that sounds like an awful brew day.

If the injuries are to be beer related, then I have plenty. :drunk:

Unless after consumption does not count. Only "injury" I can report from brewing is a nice slice on the finger from being in a hurry and trying to take off my faucet adapter without a towel or rag while washing bottles.

I hit my hand with a full spinning grinder... It sliced my glove and my thumb to the bone... lucky it was a very small point of contact and healed up pretty quickly.

... Only "injury" I can report from brewing is a nice slice on the finger from being in a hurry and trying to take off my faucet adapter without a towel or rag while washing bottles.

Oh yeah, I did that too! And I think that's my only injury as well...

I tripped over a baby-gate while carrying my very first batch ever up from the basement for bottling. I sacrificed the body for the beer. Spilled maybe a pint. My knee hurt for several months.

Injuries while drinking homebrew on the other hand... Most recently, I broke a rib while standing a rope hanging from a tree in my backyard. My feet were 2 inches off the ground...

If the injuries are to be beer related, then I have plenty. :drunk:

Unless after consumption does not count. Only "injury" I can report from brewing is a nice slice on the finger from being in a hurry and trying to take off my faucet adapter without a towel or rag while washing bottles.

For a few brews in a row I kept getting paper-cut like slits on my thumb and fore-finger, took me way too long to figure out that the threads on that same sort of adapter on my sink was doing it. Who knew they were so sharp? :drunk:

For a few brews in a row I kept getting paper-cut like slits on my thumb and fore-finger, took me way too long to figure out that the threads on that same sort of adapter on my sink was doing it. Who knew they were so sharp? :drunk:

It took me a couple of times before I realized I had a few marks. But the beer is turning out good....:tank:

Back