Teflon tape vs Pipe thread sealent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drake371

Reaction score
I was wondering what are the pro's vs con's are for using tape vs a pipe dope (rectorseal no. 5)? or does it not really matter? My application is for the weld-less bulkheads and some hard plumbing (all stainless).

thanks
drake

I personally would stray from using anything chemical based in a liquid form as it could have a possibility of leeching out into your beer. Teflon tape works just fine. Remember, at least 3 wraps.

That's just me though.

Teflon is for threads, Pipe dope is for "non threaded" application like drains. Use the tape.

Edit: I'm not a professional and have been taken to task by those that are. Defer to them for wisdom. In short, I still maintain that teflon tape is proper in the brewing world and pipe dope has no place.

I was surprised to learn that pipe dope is used on treads, but it makes sense. RDWHAHB.

I'd use Teflon.

RectorSeal #5 is a thread sealant not food grade as far as I know.

If you want to go really crazy on this then is FDA approved:

SAF-T-LOK 26832 FD-TPS Food/Drug Grade

Teflon is for threads, Pipe dope is for "non threaded" application like drains. Use the tape.

Not true. Both are for threaded fittings. Pipe dope pre-dates teflon tape by more than a century. I would choose the tape for the op's application. I use both the dope and the tape for gas connections. Belt and suspenders method. Never had a leak and a pro plumber recommended it.

I use pipe dope for pesky fittings in high pressure systems.

Teflon tape should handle anything going on in a home brewery, especially considering there's never more than a few PSI of pressure built up anywhere in a typical homebrewing system. If the teflon tape doesn't work it's likely the threads in your fitting are pretty seriously damaged.

I had running hell getting my stainless pipe to quit leaking. It's all stainless with both pipe and tubing threads. I used teflon tape, and got most of them. For the rest, I used a teflon paste from the hardware. It is made to use with potable water pipe. I did wipe any excess off. - Dwain

WTF? You better tell all the plumbers sprinkler fitters and natural gas meter installers that they are all wrong in the construction trades all these years and your right.
Sorry boss your way off on this one.
The bad thing about Rectorseal is the smell and taste in a water line like a drinking fountain for a rather long time. You'll know that nasty taste real quick on a new construction or remodel job.

Unless you run a cleaner thru your fittings with Rectorseal on the threads there is no way to wipe off this sealer preventing that nasty taste, talk about bad bier taste this would be worse.

I use to work with custom hydraulic systems and we used pipe dope only as the teflon tape has a risk of shedding off and interfering with our particle counters (to check dirt levels). I guess that really has nothing to do with beer......hmmmmmm.

I would stick with teflon tape, no chance for flavors from it.

Not true. Both are for threaded fittings. Pipe dope pre-dates teflon tape by more than a century. I would choose the tape for the op's application. I use both the dope and the tape for gas connections. Belt and suspenders method. Never had a leak and a pro plumber recommended it.
I agree. Sometimes in certain applications you just can't seem to get a good seal using one or the other but using both will often work. We have several applications where I work where we need both (like the screw-plug heating elements in a hot caustic tank).

But I agree I wouldn't want to use pipe dope on brewing equipment.

I use to work with custom hydraulic systems and we used pipe dope only as the teflon tape has a risk of shedding off and interfering with our particle counters (to check dirt levels). I guess that really has nothing to do with beer......hmmmmmm.
We do too and we specify to the techs to leave the first thread untaped. We count particles the ole fashioned way though...on a filter pad under a microscope.:)

only tape, especially on a boil kettle. Heated up pipe dope makes for some nasty flavored water. Any cool water/gas application, either is fine.

B

think you have Pipe dope and plumbers putty mixed up. Pipe dope is for threaded pipe and the putty is for drains and such.

Teflon or pipe dope is perfectly fine . I prefer Teflon its just cleaner to work with.

I don't know if I am correct or not but I use Teflon Tape for my fluid carrying connections and liquid dope for gas.
FWIW sawdust, we use T-tape for gas all the time but usually not above 150 psig (but that's mainly because we try not to use pipe threads at all above 150 psig). For anything above 150 psig we typ use flared tubing/grayloc, or AMINCO/Autoclave for the 10K+ psig stuff.

FWIW I use rectorseal T+2 on gas compressor sites for threaded connections up to 1000 PSI, teflon tape is forbidden on entire site, permatex #2 or rectorseal Tru-Blu for gas fuel system connections on gas turbine power plants to 650 PSI. On potable system connections we use T+2 as it a NSF recognized thread sealant for potable applications. Teflon tape will seal threads but will not prevent stainless fitting galling like the oil base paste will, some times you are lucky with tape, other times it is back weld or cut out galled joint.

Back