Tears, Fears, & Tasty Beers - 5 Lessons Learned My First 20 Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started homebrewing about 2 years ago, before I got started with my first batch I spent about a year gathering equipment & knowledge from YouTube videos, books, and here on HomeBrewTalk. I researched all of my equipment, bought a chest freezer and a Johnson Control before I even got started. I felt fairly ready by the time I started my first batch, but as I soon figured out there are many things that are only learned through experience.
Lesson 1 - Listen to Charlie P. *"RDWHAHB"
I worried many times about, "Did I somehow contaminate my beer?" or "OH NO! I missed my mash temperature!" ,or "It's been X number of hours and there's no airlock activity, what's wrong?!?". In the end all or these worries have been needless. I have yet to have an infection, or a beer I could not stand to drink. In fact one of these beers recently placed second in a local competition! Don't worry so much, this is a hobby and it is meant to be fun! Just because your chiller sprays hose water in your batch, or you accidentally stuck that un-sanitized thermometer or spoon in your freshly chilled wort doesn't mean your batch is ruined, in fact it's likely fine. Even if it isn't, only time will tell & there's likely not much to be done about it at this point, but wait and see.
Lesson 2 - Use a Blow off Tube
After cleaning up some major messes I have learned the importance of a blow off tube even when using a bucket as I do. Some yeast and high gravity beers produce some monster krausen and just because you ferment in a bucket don't think you are immune! If you are like me then you sometimes come up high on volume and add more to the fermenter than you should, and a blow off will help here too. A blow off can be rigged up on a bucket by using a 3 piece airlock & 5/8"OD X 1/2" ID tubing Like so:
hbt-tears-1-1268.jpg

hbt-tears-2-1269.jpg

Lesson 3 - Be Attentive to Your Beer
After a couple boil overs, and an entire batch dumped on the floor because of an open bottling spigot, I've learned to be attentive and don't leave your beer unattended during critical processes like racking, or bringing wort to a boil. Periodically check on things if not stand there the whole time whenever there is a chance something could go wrong because it likely will, while you aren't around.
A quick story I brewed a lovely smelling IPA about 6 months ago, I say smelling because it poured out the open spigot of my bottling bucket while I sanitized bottles in the next room. Had I at the very least periodically checked on it this would not have happened, and I would be able to describe the flavor of that IPA, but alas this was not to be.
hbt-tears-3-1270.jpg

Lesson 4 - Pitch Enough Yeast
If you want your fermentation to get going with the smallest amount of lag (and you do) it is important to pitch enough yeast. My first couple of experiences with liquid yeast I directly pitched the yeast without a starter and had to deal with long lag times and headaches because of it (see lesson 1). After investing in some DME and a Erlenmeyer flask I have noticed my fermentations take off in a couple of hours instead of a day or two. This greatly reduces chances of infection (and my headaches).
Lesson 5 - Chill Your Wort To or Below Pitching Temperature
My first couple of batches had some fusel alcohol hotness to them because I would chill to about 75 or so, pitch my yeast and put it in my chest freezer thinking it would bring it down into the proper temp just fine. It is much easier for your ferm chamber to keep the beer cool during fermentation if it starts out that way and doesn't have to battle the heat created by fermentation plus the heat already in your freshly brewed wort. The yeast can take that temperature you pitched at and run with it taking it way higher than you anticipated if you pitch too warm. A great way to chill your wort quickly is to use a submersible pond fountain pump to recirculate ice water through your immersion chiller.
hbt-tears-4-1271.jpg

We are lucky enough to be a part of a great hobby and a great online community here at HomeBrewTalk. No matter what your skill level, what kind of brewing you prefer (extract, PM, AG) there are plenty of other brewers here willing to answer all of your questions. No matter how many times they have to answer that "Is my batch infected?" thread. I have never been a part of a hobby where I felt like there were so many people willing to help.
After 20 batches I feel as though I have learned so much and I know there is much more to learn, and many more beers to drink! I look forward to my next 20 batches and all of the lessons that will come with them. This is a great hobby and what better way to learn a lesson then with a tasty homebrew in my hand.
hbt-tears-5-1272.jpg

Cheers!
* Relax, Don't Worry, Have a HomeBrew
hbt-tears-5-1272.jpg

Great lessons. With 15 brews behind me, I am in a similar position and can relate. It went from "I can brew beer!" to "I can brew decent beer..." and now I've begun the "I can brew excellent beer!" phase.
Blow off tubes, avoiding stupid stuff by paying attention, chilling quickly, using enough yeast and pitching at the right temp, getting your water tested and adjusted, controlling ferm temps... If you're an obsessive learner, you'll likely go through these items and more in the first couple of dozen efforts.
All the forum reading and worried hair-pulling in the world fades compared to the empiricim gained by doing it yourself. You'll make mistakes and possibly dump a few gallons, but in the grand scheme of things, you'll quickly improve and start making consistently good beer!

Thanks! Glad you liked the article. This has been a learning experience since I started, but I have enjoyed every minute of it, & I had some great beer along the way too..

Thanks Kyle!! Great article! I am exactly where you were at in the beginning.. Assembling everything I need to go straight to AG. It started about a year ago when I discovered homebrew.. Honestly, its been like a fevered obsession ever since. I read everything! I absorb every post I read and, like you, I think I have enough to get going and avoid "some" mistakes but with the understanding there will be some and to not worry so much if (when) they do.. Its really thanks to you and all of the great people in this hobby that provide so much in the way of reassurance ("no, its not infected") and knowledge that allows people like me to progress. I look forward to my 20th and 40th... Thanks!

Great article, great advice! I hope this helps many homebrewers. I'm only 10 batches in and I've been lucky without a blowoff tube (using one when the OG is 1.060+, but will start using one because my most recent batch did start to creep up into the airlock just barely.
One thing I might add, after seeing that you spend a year researching, is that sometimes it may be best for many homebrewers to just buy some cheap equipment, buy an extract kit (or a PM kit if desired) and just do it. :) So much more is learned from brewing that first batch than anything else.

Couple things about #4 and #5 that I read lately, from Chris White:
Lag phase is good/necessary: "...this phase is very important in building new healthy cells that will be able to complete fermentation. Although it may feel reassuring to a homebrewer to see fermentation activity within one hour of pitching yeast, it is not best for the yeast."
Pitching at 72-75 is suggested: "...brewers begin the lag phase for ales at 72-75F, and complete the fermentation at 68F. This can be done with success for lagers too, with starting the lag phase at 72-75F and lowering the fermentation temperature to 50-55F."
http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

Great article Kyle! Just tasted my first batch and loving it. Looking forward to the next 19 or so!

Good article Kyle. I have a question for you. How long does it take to cool your wort down with your method and what is the gallons per hour of your pump. That method looks so much better then the way I am doing it.
Thanks
Gavin Cooper

@gavcoop
I can chill my wort from boiling to pitching temps in about 15-20 min. I use hose water straight from the tap to chill below 100F then I switch to the fountain pump to get it down the rest of the way, doing it this way saves on ice.
The pump I have is 264gph I got it at Harbor Freight IIRC I paid about $15 for it.

@wi_brewer
I agree wholeheartedly with the advice in the article...I noted a significant improvement in my beers when I started chilling down to the low 60's and pitching there, then allowing the temp to rise. No major change in lag time either, just a better, cleaner beer...
Excellent article, BTW...definitely all super important things that unfortunately most of us learn only by experience...as I read, I kept going: "Yes,...yes,...yes on that one too..."

Great article; so true that experience is the best teacher. I think I've also had a variation of all of these things happen to me along the way over the years. The only one that still seems to get me is the occasional boil-over; I blame it on my cheap defective kettle!

As a brewing virgin, this is extremely useful stuff. Like you, I am very serious about my brewing. I've spent the past month soaking up as much info as I can and slowly gather my equipment before even getting started. Thanks for the insight!

Two lessons I have learned that aren't in any of the books.
1)Double check your valves are closed
2)always have a couple clean towels around

Great article man, I've brewed around 10 all grain batches and they haven't been the best but I'm truckin along. I like the advice about chilling to yeast temps because I totally thought the same thing about my chest freezer bring the temp down another 10 degrees or so on its own. And I have been victim to a lot of fusel alcohol. I'm going to bring my temp down correctly next time.
Thanks

@wi_brewer Chris White may be the king of yeast, but I've found my beer tastes cleaner when I pitch between 66-68.

Great writeup and it's all so true. I get worried sometimes and have to drink a few HB to relax myself. Keep up the great work!

Good write up..I'm not far behind you at about a dozen batches and have had a somewhat similar experience. Started out with a couple of extract kits and then moved right into a fairly ghetto all grain biab setup...but hey the beer tastes delicious and I am slowly upgrading my gear. It is indeed the greatest hobby in the world. Cheers.

Great Article, golden rules indeed, chill wort quick as possible, watch and be aware, but i like the "don't be afraid to try new things" its out of this that you can add your own unique twist to a standard recipe... Go into this not being afraid to accept that you may have to dump a few gallons from time to time but never shy from experimentation and learning from your tweaks/optimizations.
It is an ever evolving process but it will always be YOUR process be it learned from here, somewhere else, trial and error but it is brewing to tbe best of your knowledge at that time for that batch and being proud of the next steps you have taken towards that holy grail of a perfect brew and raising the bar for the next,

I am at batch 25, BIAB. Only two disasters to date involve kegging. I converted a Danby fridge to a kegerator using these wonderful directions, https://plus.google.com/photos/114416612335287313960/albums/5257362427552313025?sqi&sqsi=%3Fbanner=pwa
Nothing wrong with the kegerator, but I lost a whole batch twice, once my son accidentally left the tap partially open, and once the quicklock was not firmly seated.
This kegerator is a tight fit for two cornys, so now I spritz the fittings with StarSan and check for leak with a flashlight.

Back