Teach me to weld for beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Displaced MassHole

Reaction score
I'm not the best welder in town by any means. I bought a POS flux core welder to build my brutus and taught myself how to use it. The stand came out ok, but pales in comparison to what a pro could do.

Is there anyone in the San Diego are that wouldn't mind teaching me a few things for the price of some homebrew or whatever else I could bring to the table.

I've been brewing AG for over 5 years now and can consistently make good beer. Hell I'd even be down to take Brutus to you for you to use for a brew day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd love to up my skills in the welding department.

I'm not the best welder in town by any means. I bought a POS flux core welder to build my brutus and taught myself how to use it. The stand came out ok, but pales in comparison to what a pro could do.

Is there anyone in the San Diego are that wouldn't mind teaching me a few things for the price of some homebrew or whatever else I could bring to the table.

I've been brewing AG for over 5 years now and can consistently make good beer. Hell I'd even be down to take Brutus to you for you to use for a brew day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd love to up my skills in the welding department.

Damn!! I wish I still lived in San Diego.

Take a road trip!! I'm a bachelor for the summer anyways.

I want to come back for a visit pretty bad. Can't swing it any time soon though. Not sure where you are, I used to live right by sea world, about the same distance from tecoltie canyon park. I remember going too CNC and watching the weldors work. They build brake systems for dune buggies. I was hooked on welding the first time I saw what they did. I was in the 4th grade.

Sorry for the trip down memory lane in your thread. I hope you get someone good that is willing to help you out.:mug:

No problem, I live in Rancho San Diego right at the end of the 94. I want a TIG machine so bad I can't see straight. If the wife came home and saw it though, it would be game over for me.

No problem, I live in Rancho San Diego right at the end of the 94. I want a TIG machine so bad I can't see straight. If the wife came home and saw it though, it would be game over for me.

I did live in Imperial Beach for about a year. I grew up right in the Mission bay area though. Your about in the middle of those two spots IIRC.

MIG, TIG, they will both get the job done. You just gotta get the feel for your machine and which ever process. It has been a while since I have done a lot of MIG. It would take me a few tests but, I could weld up a keggle no problem with MIG. I just haven't spent much time running a MIG gun in a while.

Its all about feel. Knowing your welder and how it runs. Heck the power supply to your house will affect the way the welder performs. I am sure you checked it out but, you made sure you have the correct voltage right? 208 or 220 volt? Maybe you got a 110 machine?

What size wire are you running?
Are you running gas or flux cored wire?

Edit; Which end of 94? By Coronado or by the Collage?

.30 flux wire should be capable of doing a pretty nice job. MIG would be a little cleaner and easier, but certainly running without gas is entirely feasible. You should be able to find a chart online that show approximate heat and feed settings for the material and thickness you are welding. Adjust a little to tweak it in as needed.

Also, movement speed will affect the weld, as well as the length of wire sticking out. A longer stickout will run just a little cooler than welding up close to the nozzle.

Back