Tea beer idea (need some advice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killerkhezu

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making an herbal tea based bear. I well be making a 1 gallon batch, how many tea bags(or oz for loose leaf) would you say would be appropriate? *What I want to make is a passion fruit lemonade sweet tea beer. I'm thinking of using a half lb of light dme, and maybe 1.2- 1.5 lbs of corn sugar as my base. Now I wouldn't mind using hops in this for that added element, I was thinking maybe galaxy for its citrus/earthy notes. How much would one use in your average 1 gallon batch for hops?

This will be my third batch ever, so I apologize if I'm not making any sense.*

You're going to want to boil water, hold boil for 5 minutes with teabags in and steep like that for an hour without heat. Use 12 teabags per gallon; for more tea flavor, lightly press teabags with a sanitized spoon into your primary. Don't press too much or you'll get lots of bitterness and tannins, but this is some good potent favor.

Also, you might want to add more LME. I use 1.5cup of corn sugar per gallon to get about 1.035-1.040 OG. You could use less sugar (1cup) and more LME to give it a real beer flavor, in my experience it will be closer to a tea than a beer.

Also, Galaxy hops would be nice but you really dont want to put too much in or it's going to overpower.

Last note, when you ferment this fully it will have very little sugar and will be very bitter from the tea. You CAN backsweeten with a lemonade to give this a real nice summer drinking quality, but you will probably have some bottle bombs from bottling with that extra sugar. Check out this recipe for a hard tea and do some research on backsweetening. Alternatively, you could stabilize to kill the yeast and backsweeten without carbonating with no risk of bottle bombs.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/drunken-emus-mississippi-river-water-hard-tea-293019/

Herbal tea based bear! That sounds like a great idea. I would like to see the photos what you actually made! Anyway, I don’t have so much time to make an energy drink before my workouts so I just purchased Green energy drinks from an online megastore. It is as beneficial as a homemade smoothie.

I have used tea in beer many times. I mainly use it as an addition and not the core of the beer. I typically make a basic hef and then steep tea bags at 5 or so minutes out. I typically throw in all of the bags from one of the Republic of Tea canisters. Works great in a 5 gallon batch.

If you're brewing with tea, you might want to check out this recent Youtube video by Chop and Brew:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuJeNKIKGTU[/ame]

Back