Tattoos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love love love tattoos, but I hate a lot of my own. I got most of mine (with the exception of a few) from a buddy in high school and hid them from my parents. I'm only 23 now and while I don't regret having them, I just wish I would have thought it through more. Despite my bad tattoos, I have a very successful career that keeps getting better each day.

Back on topic, my girlfriend actually suggested I get a brewing tattoo. I had always thought about it, but never pursued it until the one day she brought it up. So I am currently thinking as well.

Perhaps the most entertaining incident with a tattoo I've experienced was when a young girl pulled down her pants in the grocery store to show me her "tramp stamp" after I asked why she would get a tattoo down there where nobody could see it. It was just peeking over the top of her low slung pants (butt crack is in). I was appalled and gave thanks that I have no daughters! I'd never heard the term "tramp stamp" until that day.

Are we so desperate to be noticed that we must have blue and green hair pierced septum or labia, and tattooed faces? I find personal decoration pathetic as often as not.

H.W.

I'm confused about your story. Either a young girl just randomly pulled her pants down to show you her tattoo in a grocery store... or you saw her tattoo that you claimed nobody could see to ask why she had it where nobody could see it? Either way, I'm jealous.

Sorry if different colored hair upsets you. Not everyone wants to have black brown or blonde hair!

And I can put an 1/8" welding rod through my septum.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I think penicillin can help clear that up.

Tattoos and such don't bother me but I gotta admit I don't get the gauged ear thing.

Last week I attended a presentation by a company trying to sell us some expensive software. The rep had gauged ears and I didn't hear a thing he said because the whole time I'm thinking stuff like, "Those are the same size as Oreos... I wonder if he ever puts Oreos in there... I'd swap them out for Oreos if it was me... I bet there are villages in Burundi where I could trade him for a water buffalo and two goats"

How about the kids with cars that sound like kazoos, can we make fun of them?

No brewing tatts but I do have some ink.

Think long and hard about what you want, how you want it to look and what does it mean to you. Then shop a good artist to do it. Not the cheapest artist, a good one. Then discuss what you want with them and agree on how it will be done.

Having said all that, I only did that with one of mine, the last one I got. The only tatt I don't really like is my first one. I'm formulating a cover up for it for some day in the future.

Mine was done by Choice Peach in Carrboro, NC in 1996. They had two rules then.
No flash art.
After the design was agreed upon, then you had to wait 30 days before getting inked.

Make it good, and be sure.

Mine was done by Choice Peach in Carrboro, NC in 1996. They had two rules then.
No flash art.
After the design was agreed upon, then you had to wait 30 days before getting inked.

Make it good, and be sure.

Good advice right there.

Being an artist, albeit a pathetic one, I advise you to not just walk into a shop and get tattooed. Do your homework and look through the artist's portfolio, there are many artists whom are good at one style but are not so good at another. Be sure to ask what brand inks they use as well, if they refuse to give up that info then walk away.

There are many shops out there that are buying cheap ink as well as poorly made needles which result in over worked skin and possible infection from inks with contaminates. If the artist seems to be getting annoyed by your questions then move on, they are not the right artist for you. If you would like i could list the inks that I use/ have used or know about that are quality.

Why do people feel the need to come on a thread seeking advice and rant about the subject? Move on, if you have nothing to add to what the conversation then do not add anything at all. I am all for freedom of speech, but there is a point when your just making an ass out of yourself.

Personally I find tattoos revolting!

I find people that don't express themselves revolting. No tattoos, why? They're gross. Why? Because.. its your skin.. and.. No piercings, why? Well.. well STFU. I don't judge people walking around all Christian-like, but they've got no problem judging me. I was forced to take out my piercings and keep my tattoos covered... to sit in an office with zero customer interaction. Why? Old-fashioned is out. Get with the times. Life's too short to judge people based on how they look.

That being said.. before people get all "Off-topic butthurt"..

If you don't know what you want to get, just give it more thought. If you know you want something brewing related, find an artist you respect and have a chat with them. The right artist will find something you love.

We were done a major disservice when we were told in this country that "everyone is entitled to their own opinion."

It's true, of course, but now people seem to think its their job to give their opinion whenever it might or might not seem relevant.

Here was the ask, cut and paste for accuracy: "I'm considering getting a tattoo and want it to be brewing related. It's really hard to decide what to get and where to put it.
Have any of you done it?
Care to post pictures?"

What the OP did not ask was "can someone post a verbose and meandering argument against me getting a tattoo?"

Owly may have a point... I think my tattoos are revolting.

The other day I was lying in my bed - in between the waking world and oblivion - and, in a brief moment of lucidity, I'm pretty sure I heard the chest tat conspiring with my forearm tat to kill me in my sleep.

My buddy has a tap tower flowing beer surrounded by hop bines, barley and little stars to represent yeast. I think it is pretty darn cool, and since he works in that industry very fitting for him.

I've never had a tattoo, so I'm obviously super qualified to comment here.

Just one question for the OP: How long have you been brewing? It's pretty cool that you're considering getting one, but if you're just getting into the hobby I'd hold off and make sure you're still interested in a few years.

Assuming you're balls deep in it already, how about a hop cone with a face and two wheat plants crossed beneath it a la skull and crossbones? Kinnda like BK's delicious face ink, but with hops and wheat.

I might not be remembering this correctly because it has been a couple of years since I saw it, but I seem to remember an employee at the LHBS in Hampton, VA, had the Brewing Army "hop grenade" (or whatever that is supposed to be) tattooed on his leg. I don't remember any lettering or wording, but like I said, it was a couple of years ago.

Didn't. Having a nostalgic day and miss all my piercings. This thread just got me riled up. I do really enjoy a few pistachios now and then though.

Did they close up? Mine all stayed pretty well open. I put them in once a year to make sure. It's painful but works.

Did they close up? Mine all stayed pretty well open. I put them in once a year to make sure. It's painful but works.

They did, don't know if I'm a fast healer or wtf.. had my ears gaged, stapled, orbitals and multiple in lips. Lips were only ones I couldn't do myself. I tried, didn't work out.

[Tattoos] look cool today, but have you ever seen what they look like when you are 70+?

I love this argument.

"You're getting a butterfly tattooed on your boob? Imagine how gross that's going to look when you're 75 and it's all stretched out."

Ever see a 75 year old boob without a tattoo? Still pretty gross.

They did, don't know if I'm a fast healer or wtf.. had my ears gaged, stapled, orbitals and multiple in lips. Lips were only ones I couldn't do myself. I tried, didn't work out.

But oddly enough, all the goth makeup is still there. Apaprently that stuff just seeps into your skin and stays there

I love this argument.

"You're getting a butterfly tattooed on your boob? Imagine how gross that's going to look when you're 75 and it's all stretched out."

Ever see a 75 year old boob without a tattoo? Still pretty gross.

I think it'll probably look like a pterodactyl. That's way cooler than a butterfly BTW. :D

Can I come too? I just like free beer :mug:

Wait... Did this just turn into a Billy-Klubb party thread? I'll be there with berries on.

Also, someone invite Dar. Not sure I could fully appreciate the free beer without him there.

I might not be remembering this correctly because it has been a couple of years since I saw it, but I seem to remember an employee at the LHBS in Hampton, VA, had the Brewing Army "hop grenade" (or whatever that is supposed to be) tattooed on his leg. I don't remember any lettering or wording, but like I said, it was a couple of years ago.

I had considered doing either that or a hop cone with a lit fuse. SWBMO has been to the same shop for all of her ink and they're very meticulous, so I at least have a place that I trust if and when I decide to pull the trigger.

No tats, no piercings. I don't see the point. If there's some art you particularly like, get a little laminate made of it and keep it in your wallet. It'll look a heckuvalot better than the dull, blurry, hairy version on your arm.

No tats, no piercings. I don't see the point. If there's some art you particularly like, get a little laminate made of it and keep it in your wallet. It'll look a heckuvalot better than the dull, blurry, hairy version on your arm.

Or, you know, it's your body and you can do whatever you want to it as long as it does no harm to others.

I'm getting an HBT logo tramp stamp.

It'll look a heckuvalot better than the dull, blurry, hairy version on your arm.

The saggy boobs comment was way better, this one is just as bad as saying they're flat out pathetic. There are some damn good artists. Not every tat comes out looking like the faded green eagle your uncle has on his forearm.

Back