Tasting of the first homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amh61

Reaction score
So I caved and had to give one of my first homebrews a test, even though it has only been bottled for six days. I made an Irish Red from a Midwest kit and it is fabulous even this early. A little under-carbonated, but that is to be expected. Very smooth with a nice toasty malt taste to it. A little darker than I was expecting, but on my second brew I added some of my extract later in hopes of keeping the color a little lighter.

I was having a blast brewing before I even knew it would taste great. Now that I know the product is delicious this hobby could become pretty popular around the house. I guess I'll be heading to the LHBS to pick up some ingredients to fill the empty primary tomorrow.

And a picture for your enjoyment.

Beer (Irish Red).jpg

Congrats on your first successful brew. Irish Reds are definitely one of my favorite styles. Just keep reading HBT and learning as much as you possibly can. The stickies are invaluable!

Congrats.....

Welcome to the hobby/addiction. Now get brewing and build up a nice pipeline. It helps you be able to wait if you have other brews to drink.......

Congrats indeed. Been happy, been disappointed, but all in all it is great fun. You learn from your mistakes and make the best batch ever next brew day. Sounds like you may never have to do that!

just tasted my first IPA today and its really good... 2 weeks of bottle time so its a little young as well... super excited and ready for batch #2 also

:mug:

Pretty sure we all have caved and had the "early" homebrew. I know I have.....pretty much every time! Congrats and keep em coming!

I've drank both hydro samples so far.. It wasn't done so it was slightly carbonated, atleast I could see the bubbles in it still!

As I'm not quite ready to start formulating my own recipes I just ordered two more kits from Midwest. The Ferocious IPA and the Amarillo Pale Ale. That should help me get a nice pipeline going.

I'm going to try and prevent myself from having another sample beer for another two weeks. I'll just have to drink the commercial stuff for another couple weeks.

Back